1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Modelling

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by confused2, Feb 26, 2016.

1. confused2

confused2 New commenter

I have just started work at a school for pupils with ASD. The children are aged 8-9 and are mainly 1C in maths and literacy. I would like to know how you organise your inputs. The children have had an unsettled time at school and are not used to sitting for long periods of time. I have been told that they are quite used to talking over the teacher while they are teaching. I have noticed that they can sit for about ten minutes, but find it hard to fit in my activity in the main input and then model what they need to do at the table within this time.

I was wondering how other teachers organise their inputs? Do you end up having to model at the table instead of during the input? Or should I just reduce the amount of time spent on the main activity? How long are the children on the carpet for?

2. jumpingstar

jumpingstar New commenter

How many children do you have?
    I don't do any whole class input at all.
    I do small groups (2/3) and manage it by having one doing a TEACCH activity whilst I spend 10/15 minutes on a working task with the other. Then swap. However, my 1C/1B pupils can manage sitting with me (at the table) for 20 minutes in a pair/3 - but I don't transition from carpet to table (like mainstream) as transitions are what Autistic children struggle with - so would be distressing for them and interrupt their learning!

3. missbumblebee123

missbumblebee123 New commenter

I don't do a whole class input either. It depends on how many staff you have but I send children in small groups/pairs to work with an adult. If they are not working with an adult I have activities out that they can independently complete. I either use this approach or a carousel of activities that the children move around. I tried and failed to do whole class inputs and learnt the hard way.. the children just can't keep focussed in my class!

jumpingstar likes this.
  4. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

Hello confused,

As for sitting on the carpet: I would keep that to a minimum and model at the table with students in small groups. If you have enough adults to do that. Alternatively you could have TEACCH stations so that some students can work independently while you model the new task for others. And then change.

If you would like to increase their concentration time, maybe still use Attention Autism for them?

As for talking over the teacher: what are the strategies you use at the moment? Is there a behaviour policy in your school?

5. jumpingstar

Same - tried and failed! It was just manic and a complete waste of time trying to do whole class inputs - needless to say my TA's spent most of their time "retrieving" children who kept wandering off or managing behaviour due to the stress of having to sit all together and not understanding what was going on. It wasn't helpful to anyone involved.

6. N_M

N_M New commenter

What TEACH activities do people use?

7. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

Some shoebox tasks for my lowest ones but mostly I create the tasks myself.
    Lots of matching and sorting in the form of folder tasks.

senlady likes this.
  8. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

TEACCH tasks should maybe be a whole new thread for inspiration!?

I use a lot of matching tasks e.g. 4 duplo bricks in a particular shape photographed that the pupil has to make the same model of or matching picture to picture, or colouring a picture to match one that is already done.

Sorting tasks - sorting coloured objects into the right coloured bowl or sorting shapes into groups.

Practice writing of name, or if not yet able to write matching the letters of their name or for more able pupils a sentence to describe a picture

Fine motor activities eg threading or attaching clothes pegs to the side of a bowl or box

handwriting patterns.

puzzles - either inset or 2/4/6 piece ones depending on ability.

counting tasks - eg 4 bears in the bowl or 9 cars in the box

jumpingstar and sofia_sen like this.
  9. jumpingstar

Would be great to have a TEACCH task thread - I will start one!

It is something I want to develop in my class.

At the moment I have done:

puzzles
    threading (which wasn't that successful as they found it too hard)
    Letter tracing (which they found too easy)
    and more recently I have used cutting and sticking sorting activities which have been much more successful!

10. confused2

confused2 New commenter

Thanks everyone, I will think about including some TEACCH tasks in my teaching. I will follow the other thread with interest!