1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Modelling area - argh!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by L10, Feb 9, 2012.

1. L10

L10 New commenter

I am really struggling with my modelling area at the moment, I just cannot think of ideas for it! Possibly due partly to the fact that i am knackered and ready for a break! Just wondering what you do in your modelling area? I have N/R/Y1.

Thanks

2. L10

L10 New commenter

I am really struggling with my modelling area at the moment, I just cannot think of ideas for it! Possibly due partly to the fact that i am knackered and ready for a break! Just wondering what you do in your modelling area? I have N/R/Y1.

Thanks

3. I too let them have free reign. I provide a range of resources and they know they can ask for more things. Their ideas are all better than mine anyway ! At the moment they are bringing in soft toy pets from home and making things for them - cages, kennels, activity areas for toy hamsters etc.

4. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I've found that some cohorts need lots more support with modelling than others. We're still at the stage where we have an adult in there merely to attract children to the area. Last year's class were obsessed with junk modelling and we had to have a list of names so they all got a fair turn.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Last year I gave children free rein with junk materials, glue, tape, ribbons etc and it worked really well. This year I have a child with special needs who destroys everything and scissors have to be kept in my cupboard. Other children have to ask for them and hand them back to me. Yesterday she got hold of the glue sticks and spread glue all over the book corner shelves.

6. Hi

In our nursery we have a creation station which is a large square unit with drawers underneath. The drawers all have curtains around so we can sometimes limit the children's access to some of the resources. The children mostly have free rein in this area they have access to various boxes,plastic bottles, glue, scissors,sellotape, masking tape, tissue paper, various collage crafts, catalogues and other craft items. This area is sometimes used for a planned adult led activity but mostly adults are just there to support the children.

7. L10

L10 New commenter

Thanks for your replies - I am doing as the rest of you are which is good :)
    I am struggling to match this to the topic as an observation of a lesson said that I needed to match the child initiated activities to the LO.

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I think that whoever observed you doesn't understand the EYFS. You need to match adult directed and adult initiated activities to the LO. But you can't attach LOs to a child initiated activity (although you would assess what a child has achieved), because if you have preconceived LOs then the activity is no longer child initiated.

9. L10

L10 New commenter

Good point well made. Thanks :)

10. Perhaps you just need to show on your planning how activities could be linked to learning intentions ie if maths is about 3D shapes you could add ' modelling materials of a range of shapes including straight and curved edges' or add 'thickened paint, water, sand and a mixing palettes' if children experimenting with texture is a LI. You may well not need to do anything different, simply make it clear on your planning and point out to any observers that this is to enable children to extend learning in a certain area ~ if they choose to!
    Good luck.