1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Model Magic Question

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amyclare, Mar 6, 2012.

1. I'm thinking of buying some Model Magic to use with a class of 30 Year 1 children. Can anyone suggest how much I might need to buy for them to be able to make a smallish sculpture each? Our topic is Florence Nightingale and we want them to make tealight holders - but as part of a bigger sculpture, so I'm guessing they might be about mug size. I know that's a bit like asking how long a piece of string is, but any guidance would be helpful!

Also, would you sculpt then paint? I saw a suggestion that you can colour it by using felt tip pens and kneading the colour in, but sounds a bit odd to me.

Thanks for any advice

2. If you want each child to have a mug size sculpture, you would need quite a lot. During a festivals week 1 box just about stretched to my class of 30 making a Diva lamp each. Once it has dried you can colour it in with felt tips or paint it easily, but you need to allow time for the colour to 'set', the only way I can think to describe it is the paint/felt pen seems to sit on the surface and then soak in!

3. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

While it is cleaner to work with, clay is much better and mistakes can easily be rectified. The model magic dries out quickly and it does not self-adhere well. And model magic should not be near flames (so not good for a tea light)!