1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mode of writing for Section A of Unit 4 (EdExcel Drama & Theatre Studies)

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by KateWhitt, May 14, 2012.

1. I'm confused about the mode of address that students should adopt for Section A of Unit 4 (the rehearsal bit of the paper).
    It's clear that Section B will largely consist of 'I would intend my vision to convey...' (first person), and that Section C is also first ('in the production of 'King Lear' that I saw at...'etc.).
    However, if it's the case in Section A that the writer has to ADDRESS the performers - I thinking of such questions as 'explain to your performers how you intend to explore non-verbal communication' - does this need to be in the second person - as if the reader is writing an instruction directly to the performers? It seems a bit strange that it should be in the 2nd person... 'I want you to convey a sense of subtext' - but if this is what is called for, I'll teach it!
    I've been dropped in at the deep end a bit with this paper. Think we've nailed everything, just about (!), save for this - any thoughts from experienced colleagues would be massively appreciated.
    All best wishes for the final few pre-exam weeks to you all :)
    Katya

2. I'm confused about the mode of address that students should adopt for Section A of Unit 4 (the rehearsal bit of the paper).
    It's clear that Section B will largely consist of 'I would intend my vision to convey...' (first person), and that Section C is also first ('in the production of 'King Lear' that I saw at...'etc.).
    However, if it's the case in Section A that the writer has to ADDRESS the performers - I thinking of such questions as 'explain to your performers how you intend to explore non-verbal communication' - does this need to be in the second person - as if the reader is writing an instruction directly to the performers? It seems a bit strange that it should be in the 2nd person... 'I want you to convey a sense of subtext' - but if this is what is called for, I'll teach it!
    I've been dropped in at the deep end a bit with this paper. Think we've nailed everything, just about (!), save for this - any thoughts from experienced colleagues would be massively appreciated.
    All best wishes for the final few pre-exam weeks to you all :)
    Katya

3. As far as I understand both modes are acceptable. I believe first person writing is absolutely fine and often indicates a high band answer - although not the rule. If the student would prefer to speak in the 2nd person that is also acceptable.

4. Okay; will run with that. Thanks so much for your help. I guess, ultimately, that if there ideas are good (and suitably expressed, with terminology etc.) that's what counts.