1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mobiles in class

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by elder_cat, Oct 31, 2017.

1. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

I believe there are devices available which 'scan' for the signals mobile phones regularly issue when they are switched on. There have supposedly been cases of people lurking in train stations etc and 'harvesting' mobile numbers, which they then use to make their own calls at no cost to themselves. Get the class to do some research on it, to confirm that these devices can only harvest details when the mobiles are turned on and therefore broadcasting their availability to the mobile networks. Then point to the 'black box' on your desk, which you will be turning on in ten seconds, and invite them to turn their mobiles off.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Miss, do you realise it's illegal to have one of those snooper things. We're going to report you!

Your move.

3. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Might be a fun way to start a discussion/persuasive writing topic/citizenship work etc but I'm not sure students would believe your powers!

Have you tried it? What was the result?

4. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

I did try it once, although I didn't actually have the black box. I just explained to them that these things do actually exist. Some of the students did actually turn their phones off, on the off chance there could be someone in the College in possession of such a device.

As an aside, on the theme of staying safe online, you could also get them to look into 'mobile number scrapers'. These are apps that can be used to 'scrape' mobile numbers off web pages, e.g., Facebook. Spam originators can then send out large numbers of spam calls, targeted at specific user groups in specific locations. Maybe they might want to think about which sites they have their mobile numbers listed on?

5. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Anything that works towards helping kids understand how to be safe online has to be a good thing!