1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mobiles and Ipods in the classroom

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Pennyforyourthoughts, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

I am amazed just how many parents are supposedly contacting their children during lesson time.... not break, not lunch but during lessons................

Mobile phones are creating obsessive behaviour patterns ..........
    Constant worry that it is still in pocket, bag or where ever.
    Constant checking that someone has not sent them a message in the last 5 minutes or less.
    Constant use as research
    Constant use as calculator
    Constant use as a COMFORTER........... AS THEY CANNOT EXIST without it................ MASS REPLACEMENT FOR THE CHILDHOOD COMFORTER ......................THE DUMMY ..............................................................................................................................................................................................
    ..........Anyone heard of counselling for these obsessive pupils yet.....................?
    What is your schools extreme behaviour policies for this.......................?

Latest excuses for it being out is.......
    My mum miss she is in hospital about to give birth,
    My Dad miss I don't live with him so I must take it.
    My mum wants to know what I want for tea.
    Take it away and my mum will panic if she thinks I do not have it one me.

Most that one pupil said she texed in a month was 5,000 odd anyone beat that............... someone else is said to have used 20,000 a month..............

And apparently the latest digit for the saying pointing a finger is now ................ pointing the thumb as that is the position the hand is in most often.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Best school policy I ever saw for mobile devices was 'See It, Lose It'. We see it, they lose it. Consistently applied it worked like a dream. Any tantrums, out they went and SLT picked it up.

3. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

I will always tell the kids to turn the phones/ipods off and if I see them on, I will follow the school policy and in some cases this means handing the phone in to the receptionist with the childs name and the childs parents have to come into the school to pick the phone up. But I read that one schoo,said they can use the phones they own at dinner time and break times, but this is open to abuse and I might be old fashioned, but if the parents wish to speak to them, because of some emergency, they can always phone the school and if it is not an emergency they don't need to speak to the child until they get home.

4. Most of the schools I've been in seem to operate a 'see it, lose it policy'. Of course, there will always be the situation in which a pupil thinks it's a better idea to shove the phone down their trousers rather than have it confiscated!

5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I always apply the school's policy, which is usually the see it lose it type.
    In the last sgool where I taught full time, we introduced this policy and, at the beginning, the staff were met with descent at times. My answer always was, 'You're not going to leave this room with the 'phone, so if you won't give it to me, I'll find someone you will give it to.' and then I'd send for SLT. Usually, theye were there in moments, I'd explain the situatuin and leave the SLT to it. They would stand beside the studet with their hand out. On most occasions the 'phone would be handed over. If not, the student would be removed. End of my problem!
    On supply, I tend to be a little more lenient and give the student a chance to put the 'phone away by saying the the student was leaving me with nowhere to go except to take the 'phone-they were boxing me into a corner. For the most part, the kids accept this and put the 'phone away. However, if I see it again, I take it and reminded that they were warned.

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

One school I do supply in has the policy, "iPods/MP3s are not permitted unless they are contributing to the learning" and states as much in the student's planner.
    Reading between the lines this is interpretated by both students and teachers to mean if the students are working individually either from a book or writing up some course work/experiment they can listen to music on headphones if it helps them concentrate. Of course if the teacher is speaking to the class or for any other activity that requires their attention then the music must go away.
    Mobile phones are not permitted at any time, including those that can play music. Although I'm not sure that I could tell the difference between a iPod/iPhone/Blackberry anyway.
    It does seem to work although I must stress this is a very decent school. The kids can appreciate this is a privilege, don't abuse it and will put them away when asked. In other schools I work in this policy wouldn't work at all since the students believe its part of their "Uman Rites" to be constantly interacting with some form of electronic device and that their World will evaporate into thin air if they couldn't.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

In one of the tougher schools I sometimes work in I caused outrage among the students when I collected up all the headphones in the ICT room and locked them in a cupboard during my time there to stop them listening to music during lessons. Anyone would think I'd tried to amputate a limb. Helps them concentrate my ****.

8. I actually feel sorry for the kids, a whole generation of children missing out on the feeling of walking out of the door in the morning and not hearing from their parents until tea time that night. Not quite the freedom I and many others had (only 12/13 years ago!)

9. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

*Disclaimer: I am a CS, but I am not here to flame or cause trouble - what I am about to post is relevant to the OP [​IMG]
    Where I work we have a 'see it/lose it' policy AND they get an hour long detention to be served after school (non-compliance means 3 lunch time detentions in addition to another hour after-school). Funny, we don't really see that many devices and kids tend to turn up to detentions!
    The only way it work is if everyone is consistent. I did work in a school where this was introduced and it worked well for a couple of terms and then surprise, surprise, some of the more 'cool' teachers let the odd mobile slip here and there and before you knew it, the kids were running the roost again....it's a slippery slope!

10. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

Im suprised no one has taken you to the human rights court for causing stress Remember this is England 2012 where the precious little ones cannot be disciplined on punished!!!

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

That would not be how I'd interpret it. It could just as easily mean that they can only be brought out if the activity the teacher has planned involves their use.
    I think that the rules need to be more clearly written to avoid ambiguity and teachers operating different practices. Unless the rules are crystal clear, the pupils will continue to push their interpretation, backed up by 'cool' teachers who are probably as wedded to their gadgets as the pupils are!
    I don't share the idea that pupils can concentrate better with music blaring in their ears. They might be more docile and cooperative and produce some work but it won't be their best work as they will have music and lyrics competing with their thought processes on the lesson assignment.
    If listening to their choice of music aided concentration and improved outcomes, we'd have educationalists demanding that people be allowed access to music in exam halls.
    I supervised 10 hours of GCSE Art some years ago and enforced total silence and no ipods etc in the practical sessions. I insisted that pupils stay in their places and I would collect and deliver whatever extra resources they needed. In the adjoining Art room, pupils were allowed to chat and to wander around, treating the sessions like a standard Art lesson.
    The runner between the rooms (an ex HOD in another subject, working on supply) commented on the hard working atmosphere in my room and on how my pupils were further on with their assignments. Some even had time to produce two pieces of work, with the final piece invariably the best and the one submitted for assessment.
    Against a hostile initial reaction to my stern introductory talk about strict exam conditions, the pupils soon accepted that they were far more productive than they thought possible based on what they tended to achieve in an hour of the more casual regime in lesson times,where their absent teacher used to allow iPods etc and even spent class time comparing mobile phone features with the pupils!

12. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

Typical England 2012.Only time these molicoddled kids will get cramp is in their fingers not in muscles as schools are too scared to give them cross country lessons hence we are number 1 in Europe for obesity.