1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mobile phones/ipods

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by gruoch, Mar 22, 2011.

1. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

What is your school's policy?
    I confiscated 4 mobile phones today - it would have been 5, but one pupil refused to give me theirs.
    Sheesh!

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

They are allowed in school and can be used before school, at break and at lunchtime but they must not be out in lessons unless a teacher is specifically using them. This works well, mainly due to the fact that we have sensible and co-operative pupils but also because if they do come out they are confiscated until the end of the half term

3. Our recently amended policy forbids the use of both within the hours that school is open for ordinary lessons. As a consequence, I've informed all my classes that I'll no longer allow them to listen to their music when given a lengthy independent task (despite them concentrating so much more when they did this). Surprisingly, or maybe not, I was passing by the Deputy Head's lesson the other day and it appears news of the policy hasn't reached there.
    Is it so wrong to be so cynical at such an early stage in my career?

4. No. Consistency is a problem in many schools.