1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mobile phones and texting in class

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4582, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Do you text/use your mobile in front of the children during the lesson?

2. No. I despise anyone who does as needy and unprofessional.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You saved me the bother!

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I don't. However,I bet that they'd all fall silent while watching me trying to text in a rather painful slow way.

5. I have used my phone twice in lessons - once when I was moving house and arranging the contract and I told my class (sixth form) that if my phone went off I would have to answer as it was the estate agents. The second time I was working with a sixth form class doing coursework and they needed help from their other teacher, who was on a trip so sent a couple of texts with their questions.

Other than that, I wouldn't dream of using my phone in a lesson. I think it is completely unprofessional and hardly sets an example to the children if we are telling them they can't use theirs.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I keep my phone on because sometimes I need to use it as a professional. Twice I have used it to call for an ambulance for an injured child. A couple of times I have used to to summon SMT for an unruly child. Part of my job is co ordinating visits by American teachers and students and when they are in the City they need to be able to get hold of me.

7. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I did today - I was in a computer room with a VI form class and the printer wasn't working. There's meant to be a phone in each room, but there wasn't... so I called the technician on mine.
    Very much the exception rather than the rule.

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I currently work in a forward thinking school. They recognise that all pupils learn better by communication methods they are most familiar and comfortable with, therefore all lessons and instructions are delivered by text to the pupils.

9. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I'm not sure you need to keep the phone on to make a call, but I can certainly understand why you would need to be available to take calls from American teachers and students.

Actually, the real reason I'm replying is that I noticed that you first signed in to TES nearly 10 years ago! That's pretty impressive.

I never had an interest in Ice Hockey until I read your comments over the years, but now I am a keen, if passive supporter of the Coventry Blazers.

10. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

It beggars belief that the question was even asked

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Fair enough, Blizer, but when you're not co-ordinating visits, can't you just turn it on as the need arises?

12. Jeez, with a room full of kids desperate for a chance of a wee walk I can't think what I would have done in that situation...

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

I agree that something unusual like moving house calls for different criteria. If you have a decent relationship with your class, you can flout the usual rules because they can see why you're doing it.
    It's just the usual private stuff that needs not to be done.

14. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I am not in the habit of sending kids on errands when they could be doing useful work. One phone, a few minutes, printer ready to go.

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

There are a few of us old timers around on here. Can I not persuade you to take in a game of hockey. there are teams all over the country.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I could bu then there are other schol based reasons why I may need my phone as I am a first aider and H&S co-ordinator so sometimes get calls from colleagues. It would be far easier if the school just installed a phone in my classroom.

17. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

The only time I have ever had my phone out/on/not on silent during class was when my mum was very ill with cancer. SLT and my year 6 class were very understanding about why I may need to take a phone call.

Otherwise it is on silent or switched off and locked away in the cupboard along with my handbag. I would never dream of texting in a lesson. Offsite visits are another matter - my phone is always on and within reach.

I can't bear it when staff walk down the corridor with their eyes fixed on their mobile phones, not looking where they are going.

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

Fair enough. Being a first aider is reason enough. Sorry I didn't think of that. Mobile phones are brilliant in that sort of situation.
    Just as long as you don't have something truly embarrassing as your ring tone...

19. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I did once forget to switch my mobile to silent when returning to school for a late parents' evening. There was a slightly embarrassing moment as Guns n Roses started blaring from my handbag [​IMG]

20. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Good grief - you cannot be serious? Staff on phones in the corridor - how on earth can you stop the pupils doing the same then?