1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mobile phone stolen from my handbag

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon46, Mar 3, 2011.

1. I'm hoping for some advice.
    I teach a year 5 class, who I also taught last year while they were in Year 4. Last year, one of the class stole my Ipod from my desk drawer. The culprit has never been caught and the ipod has not been returned. The head was very unsupportive, came to speak to the children once, telling them that if it was returned no one would be punished.
    However, this week, someone has stolen my brand new mobile phone from my bag, which was wedged between two cupboards. I've lost all my contacts, including the mobile numbers for my parents - my dad is very ill, and now my parents have no way of contacting me if something happens. I have no way of contacting anyone if I have a problem - no way of phoning in to work if I'm ill. Again, I reported it to the head, who made me feel like it was my fault, and told me that I shouldn't take the theft personally(!), and that children do these things.
    The phone wasn't covered on my house insurance, and I don't have insurance just for the phone. School won't replace it, and I don't have the money to replace it either.
    I'm so angry with the way the head has dealt with this that its made me cry a few times, and I'm finding it hard to teach my class without wondering which of them has done this.
    Any advice on what to do? I'm certain I won't see this phone again

2. I'm hoping for some advice.
    I teach a year 5 class, who I also taught last year while they were in Year 4. Last year, one of the class stole my Ipod from my desk drawer. The culprit has never been caught and the ipod has not been returned. The head was very unsupportive, came to speak to the children once, telling them that if it was returned no one would be punished.
    However, this week, someone has stolen my brand new mobile phone from my bag, which was wedged between two cupboards. I've lost all my contacts, including the mobile numbers for my parents - my dad is very ill, and now my parents have no way of contacting me if something happens. I have no way of contacting anyone if I have a problem - no way of phoning in to work if I'm ill. Again, I reported it to the head, who made me feel like it was my fault, and told me that I shouldn't take the theft personally(!), and that children do these things.
    The phone wasn't covered on my house insurance, and I don't have insurance just for the phone. School won't replace it, and I don't have the money to replace it either.
    I'm so angry with the way the head has dealt with this that its made me cry a few times, and I'm finding it hard to teach my class without wondering which of them has done this.
    Any advice on what to do? I'm certain I won't see this phone again

3. What an awful situation.
    Have you spoken to your union?

4. I have to say that in the light of your previous experience you were unwise to leave valaubles in your classroom. Surely the staffroom would be a safer place. You don't need your phone with you in the classroom, do you?
    I am not sure the school is in any way liable in such cases (but I could be wrong). Equally, if it were my school I would be doing as much as possible to find the little bu**er who is responsible!

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Just out of interest, how did the HT deal with it, and how did you want the HT to deal with it?

6. Report it to the police? As others have said, contact your Union too as they may offer some insurance for personal posessions at work...

7. The head basically came in, spoke to the children and told them if it was put back, that would be the end of it. Didn't work last year either. She hasn't checked up with me to see if there's been any progress - she's been very unsympathetic and was trying to excuse the act of stealing.
    As for leaving things in the staffroom, we've had things go missing from there too because there's nowhere secure in there.
    I had been putting my bag on top of a very high cupboard, but on that day two of the class were fighting in the line, so I just dumped my bag between two cupboards so I could deal with it. It took a while to get that sorted and by then it had slipped my mind. I know I've been stupid, but that phone is really important - it has photos of a good friend of mine who died last year, and its the only way I have of getting in touch with my parents (my father is very ill), as I don't have a landline phone, and neither do they.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I am still not sure what you wanted the HT to have done.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Perhaps try telling your class all this and so appeal to the better nature of the children who may be shielding the thief?

10. I've tried this with them this morning. I've even done a P4C session with the class this afternoon, where our focus ended up being about guilt and telling the truth.

As for what I wanted the HT to do: be firm with them. She was giving them ways out of not being punished for doing something wrong. She could, at the very least, have contacted the local area PCSO's to ask them to come and speak to the children about stealing. Its still her attitude towards me about it that is really upsetting me

11. I did, this morning.

For once, I wanted the HT to be firm with them. The HT is very "softly softly" with the children anyway. There is no situation serious enough to get her to even raise her voice. She takes children who have done some pretty bad things and takes them to the infant department to make cakes. Its frustrating. I'm most upset with her attitude towards me over this though. How am I not meant to take it seriously?

12. What a horrible situation to be in! I'd continue to lay it on thick about the important photos, how much it means to you etc. I'd even go as far as saying 'Well as this has happened for now I don't feel we can have (name a treat)'. A teacher at my primary who had something stolen said that her desk wasn't going to be looked at over lunch and anyone who had stolen who has realised it was wrong could return the stolen item and that would be the end of it. I'd also read a story/discuss people who may not have much and how they wouldn't steal.

13. I have had my phone taken from school and nothing was done.
    However, I would tell your class the situation as it is and that your dad is very ill etc. Ask them how they think they might be able to help you find it. Ask them to help you "look" and suggest a place they can leave it if it is found. See what happens.

14. This happened to me a few years ago. Have you tried ringing the phone ? I know that sounds a bit obvious but if you do it from a blank number they might answer it.
    I did, a child answered ( I had a suspicion who had stolen it, and was correct), and when I used his name he answered me saying "Hello miss, yeah it's xxx"
    This did enable me to at least know who took it and I then went from there.

15. This happened to me last year and my union reimbursed me for the cost of some of the items that were stolen. I also badgered the head about safe places for our belongings and we now have lockers for all staff. Too late I know but at least a step in the right direction to make me feel more secure at school.

16. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi, I feel really sorry for you. Am sorry to hear it, and about the unsympathetic head. If I was in your shoes, i'd look to my head to support me and make clear the consequences of our actions and to speak to the children on my behalf. Even if it was just to show that theft won't be tolerated. She's almost condoning it!

17. Sorry to hear about this - I know how infuriating it can be when the head doesn't support. The head teacher should be appalled that there is a child in her school who is happy to rob so easily and show no remorse.

Have the parents been informed? Could a general letter get sent home, explaining the situation with a picture of the phone on it? I'm sure any parent/carer would notice if their child suddenly has a nice new phone! The letter would most likely need to be sent home by post so the culprit doesn't just bin it. Or you could bring the parents in for a talk - well actually the headteacher should lead the talk. It's not even a case of blaming you for leaving your phone in the classroom, it's a case of realising that if this child can rob like this and show no remorse at ten - what will they be like in 5 years time?

You could also contact the police, ask them to come in and talk about the consequences of these actions. They might be able to speak about the forensics and that and explain how they can catch robbers, bit of a scare tactic.

18. I think this is disgusting. Why shouldnt you be abe to bring your phone to work and know that it is going to be safe? I would defo contact the police and the union. A meeting with the parents or letter may be a good idea but if children are stealing and have no remorse where have they learnt this! I know of several parents in my school who wouldnt be bothered. I think the head should have come down on them much harsher and said that the phone needs to be returned by the end of the day and put some sort of punishment in place. I think the idea of reinforcing how important the phone is and asking chn to help you find it and suggesting a place it can be left is a good idea. Hope u get it back.

19. Typical

Member of staff had phone stolen at school and was made to feel like an idiot for bringing it in. the week after a lad stole the head's phone and they were expelled permanently

20. LAT2791

LAT2791 New commenter

I really feel for you it's a horrid situation. It happened to my TA whilst we were organising the class for a trip so she had her handbag out. Although the phone never turned up I really laid it on thick to my class "You know who you are and how could you do this to Miss x." I think the phone was thrown away the same day on the way home from school. I mentioned it to all the parents to no avail. Sometimes the kids just won't own up. I know she felt frustrated about the lack of action because no PCSO's were called in despite me asking the head. Next time I won't 'ask'. I hope it all works out for you.