1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mobile phone in Kenya

Discussion in 'Personal' started by susanrk, Jan 9, 2012.

1. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

I'm off to Kenya to visit our partner school in a few weeks time- really exciting. I'm trying to avoid the huge mobile phone bill our head teacher received on her return last year. Really just want to be able to send and receive texts rather than calls. On Vodafone network. Can anyone tell me what to do? Many thanks.

2. How about calling vodaphone and seeing if they have any packages you can prebuy? I did that with orange and got some good advice. The main piece of advice was turn off data roaming and do not use the internet on your phone.

3. susanrk

My phone is fairly prehistoric- no internet anyway!

4. you will need to make sure the local sim will work on your phone...if it is "locked" to a network
    you can get phones unlocked for a small fee - so it will work on any network.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

or go to tesco and get an unlocked phone.they where doing basic talk and text phones the other day .with quad band(covers 4 areas of the world) all for £9,99!

6. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

when my parents went to Kenya last year their orange ancient payg phone worked fine, and the texts/calls were pretty cheap - think it was 40p a text
    do vodafone have a bit on their website about international travel?

7. susanrk

Thank you all so much- I'll certainly investigate vodafone and tesco!