1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mobile phone help

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Nellyfuf2, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

Help
    I can't cope. Tesco will sell me a phone. I cannot really find out how much it will cost.
    I do have a phone. It does not charge up well. Also the calls are really expensive now. Pay as you go. TMobile. I can't afford to use it.
    I would like to keep the number just cos I am old fashioned. I suppose it does not really matter.

So do I get a pay monthy for £7.50? That is OK. But if I drop it down the toilet, will I have to pay £7.50 for 2 years?
    Or do I get a pay as you go - cheap option - but how much will it really cost?

We just helped out kid get a new car. She remarked that her old car was worth less than her phone. Her new car is worth less than her partner's mobile phone. How strange is this?

She pays £20 a month for her phone. I pay nowt at the moment. I just use the land line. Which costs so much a month but is never used except by people in foreign climes that want to cut off my internet.

This is bizarre. We pay for the land line which is never uses except I do call out on it. It costs quite a lot with BT. Mr Nell has a mobile phone so the kids tend to ring him.
    I am not sure I should be out on my own. I am finding the world too complicated. I need a Complexity Consultant.

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Mrs. M. and I bought two of last-years-model phones for about £160 each and then got a family SIM-only package from BT (two cards= two phones, I think you can get up to 5) which costs £24 a month for both of us, we get unlimited calls and texts and a fairly low data limit which neither of us has ever come anywhere near. If you go over the limits you start being charged, but can set a max limit, I've set it at £10 a month each but have never paid any extra. At home we mainly use a desktop or ipad for internet access. When Mrs. M. lost her phone she bought a new one and BT cancelled the old card and posted her a new one.

Mobile phone companies have always been one of the biggest protagonists of confusion marketing.

3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

No, @Nellyfuf2 what you need is a slightly nerdy teenage boy, who will talk to the phone shop in their own language and then either organise a package which is exactly what you want, or a package which you will NEVER understand. The danger is that you may never quite know which he has organised...

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

It sounds as though you might suit buying a phone upfront and getting a SIM only deal or a goody bag package from Giffgaff. You can also transfer your number.

SundaeTrifle and emerald52 like this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We are with Tesco pay as you go. Bought two new phones in August. Motorolas. £65 each inc. £10 of credit. The guy in the shop then spent 45 minutes transferring everything from our old phones onto the new ones. He also transferred the data and numbers from our old sims to the newer smaller sims in the new phones. OK we were already with Tesco but the time before the guy in the shop also organised the transfer of our numbers from Orange to Tesco while we were there. I should add that our monthly spend is about £2 for me and possible £5 for mrs B. In fact I put £50 credit on my account in April 2017 and still have £16 of it left (plus the tenner from when I bought the new phone).

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I get our son’s cast offs . With 3 and spend £10 a month.

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I have Asda PAYG, spending about £16/year, but I do make most calls from landline. I keep data turned off by default. Number was transferred from previous phone.

If you're the only person using the landline, maybe it's worth costing out whether it would be better to get rid of that and get a package which would cover your calls. To me, there's something a bit sad about having to decide which member of a household to ring rather than ringing the shared landline, but there we go - it's the way things are moving. My inlaws have two landlines (and both use their mobiles a lot too) - that's real overkill.

8. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

We spent 2 years without a landline when we first moved here but really needed Internet access and PAYG dongle things were just getting expensive so we got the cheapest package we could (plusnet).
    Mobile wise, it depends what you use it for. I bought a phone ( cubot, brilliant phone, cheap!) And a tesco sim. I use a fair bit of data because I'm travelling a lot and use it for work. Mr gw has the cheap cheap sim that goes with the plusnet as he doesn't really use any data.
    We use the mobile for most calls as we get the minutes and use landline at weekends and evenings when it's free.
    It's just working out what you use and need. If you hardly use Internet then do away with the landline and get a decent mobile package. If you're worried about dropping it down the loo, then pay for insurance.

ilovesooty likes this.
  9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Good grief, you're paying a lot! I pay £8 a month with Giffgaff for unlimited calls and texts and more data than I can use. We also buy older phones. My current phone was £100 new last year. When we need to replace them we keep the old ones for when our son breaks his phone. It's a great system.

10. Nellyfuf2

Went to talk to Tesco.
    The kind man was working with a very elderly lady and doing everything for her. Bless. Showing her the buttons to press to turn it on and off. He wanted to sell me some old person's phone. Pah.
    I have bought a Galaxy Samsung outright. It has a good camera apparently.
    (I hate contracts)
    Sim package £7.50 a month. Might not use it. Might do.
    At least I could understand what it all was - the website is just confusing.
    I could also get a cheap sim card for the old phone which might be worth doing. Or not. Don't know.
    Now I understand what sim cards are....
    Out of bravado I told the man in Tesco I would set it up myself.
    Three weeks later I'll be back.
    He'll help me.

But now I am skint. Oh well.
    Having a land line is now a status symbol.

mothorchid and colpee like this.
  11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We usually buy second hand phones and a sim. We pay £4 a month.

Nellyfuf2 likes this.
  12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I am still using my mother's old mobile. She died almost 10 years ago, and it was old then. It's a Nokia - they've already brought out a retro version; I still have the original.

I know I have to get a smart phone, but like @Nellyfuf2 I have no idea what I want or how to get it.

mothorchid and catmother like this.
  13. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

We're with BT. I thought you HAD to have a landline. My bills, including broadband and anytime free landline calls are about £198 a quarter. Yikes!

We only have PAYG Nokia phones. No contract. It annoys the kids when I make them ring ME. :) It's only for the odd text and emergency call. I send emails etc from this tablet.

I would quite like a smartphone, but I'm like Nelly.

I'm sure my offspring pay a darn sight more than me.

14. Nellyfuf2

Took me ages to open the box.
    Then you have to put in the sim card. When I opened the card tray a little tiny wee card popped out and disappeared. I think it was one card . If it was two I am baggeret.
    Found it at last. It was on the chair. I was sitting on it. Hope it was one little card. There are three slots on the tray.
    Currently two are occupied.
    I may get a cheap sim for my old phone. And keep this posh Smart phone for Sunday use.

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Same here. I have an old Nokia which is just fine for texting and actually calling people. I don't want a smartphone but keep thinking I should get one because more and more stuff uses a smartphone nowadays and you're expected to have one. Also,I've realised that I don't even know how to use one (everytime I've tried my husband's one,I've looked at it as an alien thing and I could not hear what the person was saying). This annoys me because I've been using computers since the early 90s and I've always managed to keep up.
    So,I'm going to have to buy something I do not really want and that annoys me no end.

chelsea2 likes this.
  16. Nellyfuf2

I believe they help you when you are lost. Have a what's it called? Sat nav. That's the word.
    My car has a sat nav built in, but it only covers the islands of Japan. It talks to me in Japanese. I can find a golf course in Hokaido. But in Rotherham it can't help much.

17. Nellyfuf2

All bank security will be linked to the baggerets and their apps.

18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I'm fed up of repeating myself in the bank:

No, I don't want to do online banking.
    No, I don't have a smartphone.
    No, this tablet won't support your app.
    The signal is weak where I live.
    No, it isn't a problem. I'm in the village, anyway.
    I like the human contact.

border_walker and blazer like this.
  19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The £24 is for two of us, so £12 each per month. Just checked with GiffGaff and it's about the same price pro-rata, of course I can't directly compare like for like as that would make life far too easy.

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Many years ago a colleague told the story about his son. The lad was quite bright and when he left uni he went to work for some sort of marketing company. The colleague claimed that his son was on the team that came up with the system for mobile phone companies to set their charges. He claimed it was deliberately set up so that every company could claim to have the best deal but make it impossible to actually compare any two deals.

caress likes this.