1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mobile internet help needed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bajan, Aug 6, 2020.

1. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

Hello colleagues, hoping someone can help. I am currently away from home and need to connect to the internet as soon as possible. What's the best and most cost effective way to do this? I thought about buying a mobile wifi router. We need to be able to use about 3 devices at once. Thank you in advance.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Away from home in the UK or abroad?

3. elder_cat

elder_cat Lead commenter

I bought a small mobile wifi router a while back, a teeny tiny thing that takes up no room whatsoever. Haven't actually had occasion to use it yet, but it's meant to allow me to plug into the Ethernet wall socket somewhere like a motel or whatever, and create a small wifi network, which - in theory a least - should provide a strong enough signal to span two or three rooms if needed. As I say I have not had occasion to actually try it out with multiple devices connected at the same time, but I suspect the main issue would be one of bandwidth. A single laptop, tablet and mobile might be OK up to a point, but you may have problems, depending on what you are doing with the individual devices you have connected at any given time, so best check the specs before you part with your money. Hope you manage to find something suitable.

4. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

In all honesty? So long as you're not too far apart just get an "all you can eat" data sim for your phone and set it up as a hotspot. Assuming you can get a 4G signal that should be plenty. There are 1 month rolling contracts in the ~£25 range.

colpee and Jamvic like this.
  5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We've done this on holiday. We got a cheap data SIM. It cost the grand total of £10 and did three of us for a week's holiday.

6. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

That’s what I’d do too.

7. bajan

I'm in the UK on a campsite. Got electric. I've only got a basic phone. Don't really want to sign up to a contract.

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

If you've only got a basic phone, what do you want the internet for?

9. bajan

Emails, WhatsApp, Zoom

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Go to the pub

11. bajan

What is the best device to use?