1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moany, grumpy teacher

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LittleBrownBear, Feb 6, 2020.

1. LittleBrownBear

LittleBrownBear New commenter

Just a silly one really but I feel as though i am constantly grumpy and moany with my class and not 'nice' as i normally am. I worry they are scared of me as I am constantly getting them to re-do work as it's not good enough.

I just want to have a nice relaxing day with them but there is so much to fit in everyday I feel like I am steam rollering through.

I teach KS1.

I am very tired......

2. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

Oh, LittleBrownBear, I don't think that is silly at all. I daresay many teachers will be able to empathize with your feelings (I know I do).

One more day until the weekend.
    One more week until half term (although is this another one of the terms with varying holiday weeks?)

Can you arrange something nice for say a week on Friday, conditional on them doing their best first time around for the remaining time?

Is it everything that seems difficult or are they say okay in maths but not in anything where they have to write?

BetterNow and (deleted member) like this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Just have a day, or even only an afternoon, where all you ask of them is that they 'play'.
    Just one won't destroy their education forever and will remind you why you love teaching.

In KS1 redoing work is pointless...just stop asking them to and enjoy their company.

Happyregardless and Pomza like this.
  4. LittleBrownBear

Thank you!

We had a disaster of a day on Monday, in English we couldn't put words into a sentence practically then i had work scribbled out, not written correctly etc.

Maths was a mightmare too. 7 different groups going on.....

I am going to put a carrot in place for next week but could suggest 5 mins extra play if we do well (fed up with silly behaviour too).

I just feel like a grumpy goat

5. TheOracleAtDelphi

Oh dear it sounds like you've generally had a difficult week. If feel comfortable answering this, is this year 1 or year 2?

Is your school at the higher expectations end of the spectrum and how much of a free hand do you have with them?

6. LittleBrownBear

Yr 2 and absolutely. In terms of what I can do each day lesson wise? Absolutely no free hand!

7. LittleBrownBear

That would be lovely but no playing allowed-lost learning time. I used to love reward time on a Friday as i could bond with my class and really see them just being children.

Work has to be re-done and kids in at play if it's not up to scratch. SLT say so.
    If books are messy then you are pulled up.

However, my kiddos love Art and drawing so I will attempt to squeeze some into a Friday as a carrot!

Thank you.

8. TheBigPickle

TheBigPickle New commenter

Why is it pointless to get children in KS1 to redo work? I'm intrigued.

Alice K likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I don't mean reward time type play, but more learning through play. Learning science skills by playing, learning maths by playing, etc, etc.
    Because most will have moved on by the time the teacher has marked the work and decided it didn't meet their arbitrary standard. Asking them to do it again (especially at breaktime) will not result in better work and will mean the lesson after break is hell in terms of behaviour...then the vicious circle begins!

Lala24 likes this.
  10. gerdmuller

gerdmuller New commenter

It's tough with that rigid automaton approach from the top.

What I will say, however, is please try and remember what the kids take home with them when we get frustrated.

My own Y2 child came home tonight quite upset because their teacher had shouted, made them re-do work and called the work of one child appalling. My child said that they really were trying her best - she's the type who will take whole class criticism to heart and dwell on it because she just wants to please.

11. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I do make mine redo their work, but I say it really nicely, like ‘is this your best possible work, or would you like to try and make it even neater/better?’ I’ve never had a child say no. Then afterwards when they’ve improved it I really praise them and ask them what they want to do with the first attempt. They always take pleasure in throwing it in the bin.
    I do have days where I feel bad for being grumpy but these are always when it’s nearly the holidays and I’m completely shattered. I’m pretty sure that’s normal!

TheBigPickle and Lalad like this.
  12. TheOracleAtDelphi

LBB - how are you feeling now? Only a few more days to go until the holidays...

It's hard when you are in a school like that. Do you get to plan your own lessons or do you have very specific programmes/schemes of work that you have to follow? Are you able to change the order of things around or anything to get a more enjoyable sequence of lessons? Or do something practically rather than theoretically? (E.g. role play shops rather than answering money questions in their books)

13. LittleBrownBear

Thank you for asking.
    No I can't plan my own lessons- I have to follow what I am given. It is not my style and I struggle with it. Everything is in books- including AFL.
    Honestly? I am exhausted. I am working 17 hr days and I am constantly behind. It was 6pm tonight before I even marked a book because I had to spend time improving my working walls with SLT.Every night there are meetings til 5pm then I have to mark, plan etc. I am school at 7.15am.

I am fed up with absolutely no work life balance and just deeply unhappy. In terms of the children, we have had a better week so maybe my moaning impacted but I still feel guilty as I know I get too frustrated. I hate the teacher I have become as I have never ever been like this. I have been teching over 15 years and it breaks my heat that I can not do what I need to do for the children in my class due to work load.

Apart from that - all ok!

14. TheOracleAtDelphi

I am sorry to hear that LBB - I have been in a similar situation and it is miserable. I always find I am less effective when I am trying to teach in a style that isn't my 'natural' style.

Meetings every night until 5 is frankly daft (imo)! What on earth is there to discuss/be trained on for that length of time? And surely that will break directed time hours? I'm not surprised you are exhausted - that workload is completely unsustainable.

Are there very compelling reasons for working at this school? Would it be possible to look for a job where there is a better fit?

15. LittleBrownBear

Thank you. I have contacted my union because i am broken. I am a lot more creative but actually the tide is turning in terms of being listened to. However, little too late.

I am leaving-have a new job to go to but still have to get through it . I didn't have any dinner last night because I was so upset and didn't have time. That's just wrong.

Thank you for your support.

16. TheOracleAtDelphi

I hope your union are supportive and you manage to get help with some things.

I'm glad you've got a job to go to and hope it will provide a more conducive environment. Are you leaving at Easter or in the Summer? I get that you still have to get through the present.

I hope your school starts to listen properly to you and you can work out a way forward.