1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

moaning old gits anonymous

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Jun 24, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

There. moan away, all you Victors and Victorias. Awake your sleeeping Meldrew.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Scientists have found that being cantankerous is the key to reaching old age.

This is because happier, more relaxed characters are likely to take more risks through their lives including eating unhealthy foods, drinking and smoking.

The findings, part of a 90-year study, cast doubt on reports that loving marriages, active social lives, raising children or owning a pet help people to live longer.

Scientists could only echo “I don’t believe it!” – the phrase made famous by Richard Wilson, star of the BBC comedy series One Foot in the Grave.

Researcher Leslie Martin said: “We came to a new understanding about happiness and health.

“One of the findings that astounded us was that participants who were the most cheerful and had the best sense of humour as children lived shorter lives, on average, than those who were less cheerful.

“The prudent and persistent individuals stayed healthiest and lived longest.”

The study, called the Longevity Project, found owning a pet could improve general “well-being” but made no difference to living longer.

Similarly, people being cared for as they got older stayed cheerful but, again, did not reach a greater age.

However, caring for others can help because it often makes carers more aware of general health risks and persuades them to lead healthier lives. Psychology professors at California University have spent the last 20 years analysing the results of research that began in 1921 on 1,500 10-year-old children.

The children, all born 100 years ago, were asked about everything from owning pets to work, friends and families. Their health records and day-to-day lives were all followed up in the following years.

But while many of their attitudes when young could be linked to how long they eventually lived, several common theories were proved wrong.

Worrying less and staying cheerful were not likely to help them live longer and often had the opposite effect, because happy-go-lucky people took greater chances with their health.

Other findings showed that men who had been divorced did not live as long as those who were never married, although those in long-term marriages were most likely to live past 70. However, divorced women who did not re-marry lived for almost as long as those who stayed married for a long time.

Adults who retired later were also more likely to make it into old age.

Professor Howard Friedman, who led the study, said: “It’s surprising just how often common assumptions are wrong. It was clear that some people died sooner, while others of the same age thrived.”

3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

So the options are - have a shorter happier life, or a longer miserable one?

4. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Oh I can moan for Britain! Most recent moan, when a local Lions Club member sent a message to the Lions that he would be starting renovations on the charity shop and would they pass the message on to any of the women who run it because we might want to move some of the stock out of harm's way :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    He's a nice chap - why couldn't he email one of us and ask us - he's not a shy or retiring person!
    There were a few yesterday but I'll leave it at that. Today has been moan free so far but I'm out for the choir dinner so that's often ripe with potential.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I suspect there is a strong cultural dimension to what makes people live longer and that the results for Californians may not be exactly replicated in Britain.

nomad likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Why is nothing as good as it was when I was a lad?

Why are summers more humid and warmer? Why is light now blinding instead of warming? Why can't I spend a day walking along railway lines before making a den next to a nuclear fuel reprocessing plant? Why can't I climb a tree and then jump onto hay bales before climbing the tree again? Why can't I collect frog spawn from the pond and grow tadpoles in my back garden? Why are there so many TV channels? Why have I got to many screens?

Where is my cabbage soup?

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

By the time those kids reached middle age and took up gardening, they were moaning that it never rains in California...

9. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Well I'm not stopping you.

10. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Presumably everyone's heard this one, courtesy of Tommy Cooper:

So I phoned up my local building firm. I said "I wanna skip outside my house", he said "Well I'm not stopping you".

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Nothing dozy about my Victor.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Why are you stopping me!

13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Turns out the Dothiepin I took for depression for 13 yrs has doomed me to dementia.

I feel proper depressed now.

14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Mr Belle isn't happy unless he's moaning about something!

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

A better way of saying that is "He's never happy unless he's miserable."

16. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It is supposed to be the "northern" condition; only happy being miserable. Source of much comedy, and often turned into an artform.

nomad likes this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Aye, Lad.

The only time I have ever cracked a smile was when old Wainthorpe tripper over his whippet and fell into sheep dip pit.

Laugh? I nearly bought a round!

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Time for a G&T;)

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I take to the hills it always lifts my mood even when wet and windy. I want quality time not long and miserable time. A triple heart bypass changed the way I behaved, probably for worse:eek:

lanokia likes this.
  20. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

For me - a shorter and happier life rather than a longer and miserable one!