1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mnemonics

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by noemie, Mar 9, 2011.

1. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

That is spooky, it was just mentioned in a twilight inset tonight! What that teacher did was to give a list of words to kids and in groups they'd have to pick three and find mnemonics for them, then share with the rest of the class. It often sticks better if they've found it themselves anyway. Perhaps you could even set it as homework - they'd come in with pictures put together (which you could perhaps laminate and use as classroom resource, nothing like free labour!)
    My best one to date was noticing the "pirate" in "aspirateur" - I now imagine Johnny Depp aarrghing as he hoovers around my house [​IMG]

2. Hey Noemie, I was in that inset tonight at CVC!
    who were you?

3. mpillette

mpillette New commenter

For memorisation purposes or for anything else, I tend to find that no technique is a panacea (& beware bandwagons?). Some techniques work for some learners but not for others. How about allowing for variety? E.g.:
    - asking pupils to suggest memorisation techniques;
    - maybe suggesting some of your own;
    - giving pupils the opportunity to experiment with several for techniques them to find out what works best for them;
    - monitoring - e.g. occasionally asking some pupils which techniques they use; reminding them of certain techniques if necessary.