1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mnemonics used in your English lessons

Discussion in 'English' started by rach166, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I am an NQT starting my first teaching post in September. I was wondering what mnemonics you all use in your classroom and how successful are they for your students? I have seen PEE (L), POAMS, and AFOREST successfully. If you could note down any that you use and what they stand for that would be great!

2. Hello,
    I am an NQT starting my first teaching post in September. I was wondering what mnemonics you all use in your classroom and how successful are they for your students? I have seen PEE (L), POAMS, and AFOREST successfully. If you could note down any that you use and what they stand for that would be great!

3. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

Similar to PEE, but not as funny [​IMG] is PEA: Point Evidence Analysis. I have also see PQC which is Point Quote Comment. All the same idea!

WOMANONAMISSION50 likes this.
  4. Yes, I remember when I was a pupil we used SEA Statement Evidence Analysis in school.

5. SMILE when analysing poetry- structure meaning imagery language effect
    A RIPE FOREST for analysing non-fiction media texts and composing argue/persuade essays : anecdote repetition imperatives pronouns exaggeration fact opinion rhetorical questions emotive language statistics triples
    SQUEAL for writing about literature- statement quotation understand explain additional info language

6. fishtail

fishtail New commenter

FLIRT for poetry--Form, Language, Imagery Rhythm and Rhyme and Tone--though I use FLIRTS to get in Structure as well!

janekwe1 likes this.
  7. I used RARE DECK to teach writing to argue:

Rhetorical Questions, Anecdote, Reiteration, Exaggeration, Directed at Reader, Emotive Language, Counter-Argument and Key Points.

8. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

GAP - Genre Audience Purpose

9. PALL- purpose audience language layout, also called PAF, with F being format

10. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

SLAPP - Structure Language Audience Purpose Presentational devices
    Isn't there a CAM(e)LS for poetry? Unfortunately I can't remember what the letters stand for!

11. Brilliant mnemonics! I will definitely be using some of these in my teaching. Thank you :)

12. I found this one somewhere on line a while ago and it has been really helpful:
    CHINFAT or FAT CHIN:
    consequently, however, indeed, nevertheless, furthermore, as a result,therefore.

maqdas2002 and LucyJWheeler like this.
  13. ulysees

ulysees New commenter

LIST - Language, Imagery, Structure ,Tone ; for poetry .

janekwe1 and WOMANONAMISSION50 like this.
  14. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

TiPToP paragraphs = new paragraph for a new time, place, topic or person.

janekwe1 likes this.
  15. TipTop is excellent. I will definitely be using that . :)

16. I prefer SLIME to SMILE since it places meaning later in the process. SCASI is excellent for unseen analysis- subject, character, action, setting, ideas. It comes from the IB diploma originally... Otherwise the one we can't use is FOFO. - ^*^* off and find out! (thanks Larry). I use 3B4ME for that one.

LucyJWheeler likes this.
  17. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

Just remembered another one, CAST for use when writing about characters in plays: Character Action Staging Themes

18. Dunk

Dunk New commenter

POO rule for apostrophes: Possession Or Omission. Don't do what I did though and get them to make posters. Bad move.

19. I used to use PEE, but have 'upgraded' to PEtER:

Point, Evidence, technique (identification of word class or language technique) Explanation/effect and Reader response

this can be adapted to PEtEtER to include two quotations or PEtER/CEtER for comparative essays.

20. gloucesterroad

gloucesterroad New commenter

SLITS - Subject, Language, Imagery, Tone, Structure - for poetry analysis

FLIC - Font, Layout, Images, Colour - for non-fiction and media

PEEWE - Point, Evidence, Explanation, Word, Explanation - for word-level analysis for weaker candidates.

SOAPMAPS - Simile, Onomatopoeia, Alliteration, Personification, Metaphor, Adjectives/adverbs, Powerful Verbs, Senses - for analysis and creative writing.

PEEPDE - Point, Evidence, Explanation, Point, Describe, Explain - for linking images and language in Section A of unseen media paper. The 2nd point should be a reiteration of the first.

AFFORRESST - Address the audience, forceful phrases, facts, opinions, rhetorical questions, repetition, emotive language, statistics, superlatives, triples - for persuasion!

(We love acronyms round our way!)