1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MN exiles

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Endeavour1, May 13, 2020.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Unfortunately Grandelf hasn't posted on here in a long while.I do think he moved out of teaching. However when he last did he was still with CrystalSecrtes and mini grandelf was growing well. :)

2. safspace

safspace New commenter

I am feeling that I should go round to the neighbours and explain that my year 8 son and I have just been doing maths for the last couple of hours. They might have mistaken the shouting and banging about for DV.

3. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

I'm so pleased he's still with CrystalSecrets. I think they met at a meetup, which is a lovely story! I didn't know there was a mini Grandelf, that's super news.

:D @safspace - don't envy you motivating a Y8 at the moment!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. portandlemon

portandlemon New commenter

Thank you so much for that update. :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Well remembered tangerinecat.

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hello all from MN - always happy to welcome new people.

Lara mfl 05 and Endeavour1 like this.
  7. safspace

safspace New commenter

Thanks tangerine. I need to find a secondary maths teacher amongst our republicans who doesn't mind helping me for a few minutes. Have put out a begging request on the republic but no takers yet.

I need an overview perspective of what kids are expected to have encountered, attempted and mastered etc in year 8 maths. Not good with all this bitty stuff as I have one of those brains that need to grasp the tree before I can deal with the leaves and if I do I'll know exactly where to hang all of those leaves and where they fit with other leaves etc. Demanding I know.

Pottypaintpot likes this.
  8. safspace

safspace New commenter

Thank you for the welcomes and apologies if I seem rude but I can't recognise who is who from the people I was talking to on mn and who is not from mn and a TES native.

9. portandlemon

portandlemon New commenter

If you love the programme Lucifer, you’ll know who I am!

10. safspace

safspace New commenter

portandlemon just makes images of Dot Cotton appear in my mind lol. I don't watch Lucifer

11. safspace

safspace New commenter

Now I'm dreaming about good port - you mention port and i'm like hmmm port. I just looked for an emoji and made my first encounter with tes emojis - not impressed! Possibly even more ***** than mn options?

For the first few weeks of lockdown I was concerned I was going to turn into a raging alcoholic. All bets were off. The last couple of weeks I've drank less, started eating better, made an effort to be more active etc. Looking at friends and colleagues this isn't uncommon. Therefore I totally get that some students will have gone off the rails pre Easter and even beyond and will have only been tuning back in a bit in the last couple of weeks. (Never seems fair to expect more of them than adults hence feeling bad for kids whose mum's live on their phones but only let their kids have 1 hour of screen time.)

To me that's the point of the advice saying, 'year 10's and 12's should have some form of face to face contact with their teachers before the end of term' - an opportunity to say right we're all here - here's where you're meant to be looking at work, what's that? You don't know your password for a platform you're supposed to have been using using since year 8? <deep breath> ok that's fine, let's get that sorted. Here's where I set work, here's what I expect of you and here's where you can submit your work. You don't get it? Ok have you seen the help sheets and/or video guides that are shared with every task? You haven't? Ok well then look here they are, won't that make it clearer and easier and give you no excuse not to crack on going forward.

How some heads and parents are translating that into going back to school in June for year 10 and 12 I do not know. To be honest that advice seems to suggest that government are fully expecting us to still be teaching them online come September.

12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

That's a new word on me, "goady".

13. cjcjcj

cjcjcj New commenter

Checking in from MN republic. I mostly lurk though!

Endeavour1 likes this.
  14. Pottypaintpot

Pottypaintpot New commenter

Oh, we are well used to goady f**s over there.
    Threads can get Reported and deleted On the basis of being “goady!”

15. Chu96

Chu96 New commenter

Hi Saf, i replied to your thread but forgot to namechange to my normal, sleepy, cheesy, username on MN. Have asked them to change my user name for that post.

It's hard as most school SoW will be different - if you can get hold of a copy of your Y8 SoW I'd be happy to help. For our Y8s, we cover: area and perimeter of circles, Pythagoras, volume of prisms, frac/dec/perc, basic probability, angles in polygons and parallel lines, averages and data (drawing and representing charts - inc. stem and leaf), lots of algebra, simplifying, expanding, factorising inc. quadratics, simulataneous equations, standard form, graphs, inequalities and trig.

An old, but good resource is the CIMT, www.cimt.org.uk. I like Dr Frost Maths - if you watch his videos, there is a "practise skill" button below which is useful. Also I like Corbett Maths for videos, textbook questions and answers are also included (use the search function on the right hand side otherwise the site is a bit overwhelming!)

16. Endeavour1

Endeavour1 New commenter

That is the problem in the other place and is why we have become drained by all the goady posters. We also refer to them as baiters.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  17. Lara mfl 05

Most of the 'tes' regulars will already have avatars. The rest of you mn exiles are just outline blue blobs. We find on here the avatar does help identify who is who. Try downloading one. And there's nothing saying you couldn't use the same avatar as mn, as long as it won't positively identify you to the world at large/ your workplace.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  18. Hello, also jumping ship from MN. Wondering if I’ll be able to recognise people from their by their writing style!

19. Billybobob

Billybobob New commenter

Its the first time in (i don't know how many) years that I have actively searched out an avatar.
    Although its not showing and we have an edit function, yay

20. Lara mfl 05

It's showing now. They usually take a little while to come through and show up on your profile page first. Edit function time is limited though