1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

mmm... time to go?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by richdebtomdom, Apr 8, 2017.

1. richdebtomdom

richdebtomdom New commenter

This morning I received a letter off the head inviting me to a meeting later this month to discuss how bad I am as a cover supervisor. Subjects to include: behaviour management... deviating from set cover work... attendance ... and (the cherry on the cake...) an incident where a child was injured -but not enough to tell me apparently...

So... resign?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Depends...
    Do you want to get a similar job? If so the injured child incident needs to be resolved before you ask for a reference.

Do you agree with the idea that being a cover supervisor may not be for you?
    If so, go to the meeting and negotiate a dignified exit.
    If not, speak to your union and take them with you to the meeting and fight it.

richdebtomdom likes this.
  3. richdebtomdom

Thank you... I was a TA before they asked me to swap roles...(no offer of a swap back) I really am not enjoying the constant bad behaviour ... feeling like its just not worth it 5-lessons a day for £800 a month...

4. hiddendavid

hiddendavid New commenter

it certainly isn't worth it at 25 hours a week (minimum) for £800 a month!!

That's the equivalent of £8 an hour...National minimum wage is £7.50 assuming you are over 25...resign now and get a job in a pub/ supermarket etc for a similar wage and less stress!

5. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Union.
    Don't attend any meetings without a rep.

6. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

What is the evidence for your 'misdemeanors/ crimes'? Was it an observation - several obs or are these accusations from school data monitoring etc?
    What do you think/ believe? Are these discussion points correct in your opinion?

Take a deep breath. Refer to your own 'data', prepare your 'defense'/ arguments against and seek union support. Do not go to the meeting alone...
    Why did they ask you to swap roles? Were you doing the school a favour by stepping up? This could be a point to use in your favour if the outcomes in the meeting seem unfair. What support/ training have you had to swap roles? An excellent TA could still require training to change to cover supervisor. I'd research the skill set if you know the incidents for each of the points up for discussion, refer to school policies in your defence. and look for areas that would require CPD, ready to use if the meeting becomes uncomfortable.
    I would even consider the support I'd been given from the person in charge of cover supervisors.

If you are happy in the role, do not think of resignation immediately because the school should also play their part in supporting you in a new role, you do not mention qualifications or experience as a TA - look carefully at what the school would expect when employing a cover supervisor and ask the school to help you!
    As to the point about your attendance, you do not give any detail so can't give advice apart from school policy and following it ... many attendance meetings are to offer support if required and are a formality.
    The child injury - were you aware? Did the student tell you? Was there a school incident form completed? Have you ever been briefed about what to do in the case of a child injuring themselves in the lesson?The problem here is in the situation that happened and also the lack of detail.

7. drek

drek Senior commenter

So they are paying you a supermarket wage for doing a teacher's job and then adding insult to injury by criticising you?

And that is the calibre of a head these days?

A cover supervisor is supposed to cover all lessons all week? For 800 pounds a month. That must be totally exhausting.
    You are supervising more lessons than an NQT. On your own with no support and they are berating you?
    That's crazy. If you don't want more of the same treatment, you need to rethink your career plans!

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Union first. As others have said, they need evidence. (But, at the end of the day, you may prefer to finds somewhere/something else to do...but don't go easily. Why should you?)

9. thistledoo

I agree @drek but that is the situation in many schools as the reducing budget bites. SLT are altering what many would never accept because they have us all between a rock and a hard place.
    It is the poster's decision to accept the money for the role she does, if you need the money not many are going to decline an offer of a new job role in case they lose the existing job they have, besides an NQT does not supervise.
    A cover supervisor does not have to prepare, mark or assess although on occasion some of these tasks can be undertaken and the wage adjusted (observed this in my last school).

Lara mfl 05 and richdebtomdom like this.
  10. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Nice of them to send you the letter just at the beginning of the Easter break to make you stew for a few weeks,

A common management tactic. Barstewards.

11. thistledoo

Yes, not professional at all and a regular occurrence these days, I agree but the time can be used to contact the union without having to go into work/ be in front of a class and not to worry at the same time. Collate the arguments evidence against the accused list - then put it to one side until the end of the holidays!

12. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Occasional commenter

Hi richdebtomdom. Sorry you are having such a tough time; lots of excellent advice given so far. I would just add, if you enjoy your job (whether as a cover supervisor or maybe returning to TA role) don't even think about resigning now. You may well want to look elsewhere (I know I would) but you would want to do that with a decent reference. Contact your union now and arrange a meeting before the scheduled meeting with the Head. Tell the union rep everything; they will attend the meeting with you. Best of luck.

13. richdebtomdom

Firstly, please accept my thanks all that replied (or read!)... To clarify a couple of points:
    Attendance... I have been off with 'flu for a week -bad enough for me to go to the doctors... I called for advise and she called me in as my blood pressure dropped making me dizzy. The issue with this is I have had 4-days off for job interviews since Jan- they have now refused to pay me for those days...
    Yes, I was asked to be a cover supervisor- I didn't apply. The last cover supervisor left because of stress...!
    Injury to a child- no idea. No kids have reported injuries to me- the only thing I can think of was a kid that delivery fell off his chair- then lay on the floor laughing and said he could get up... he didn't say he was hurt when I sent him out... but I suppose he might have been.
    They have a big problem with me because I am not bending to their will... I think I'm doing a reasonable job but the fact is I never really wanted to do this job... it's mega stressful and badly paid.

I used to teach at school too... I am a retired copper so have a 1200-quid a month pension before starting so I am feeling like I want to walk...

The local rep is the cover manager... I think it's time to go...

eljefeb90 and thistledoo like this.
  14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

With that amount of income to live off I'd definitely be walking.You don't need the stress.

15. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

If you cannot talk to local rep, call up your area or regional rep. At same time, agree to what has been said above, CS are underpaid and treated like c**p in most schools.

thistledoo and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

I'm so sorry that this is happening to you. You need to contact your union, and at regional level if need be.
    This is a salutary lesson to us all though. You are doing teachers job, and saving the school a small (actually a large) fortune by doing so. If you do the same job as a teacher, you should get paid as such. I personally don't think that an unqualified person should be teaching classes. As I have said many times before, I wouldn't allow an unqualified hairdressing to cut my hair or an unqualified electrician to rewire my home. I have the upmost respect for the police too, but I certainty don't want unqualified police officers. I'm sure you will agree that you went through long and exacting training to become a police officer. So did I to become a teacher. Four years plus. I do hope it works out for you and good luck.

pineapplehead and phlogiston like this.
  17. richdebtomdom

I have emailed the union and the head with my intention to make a decision about leaving before the end of the week. I really don't like the job and I think it's time to go.

Thank you all, some of the replies have been written with huge care and attention and I am now resolute!

18. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

I hope you are able to find work in an area that values you and the valuable experience you have built up in your previous career. Education is a thankless task now.

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Their little eyes lit up! Ex-copper!

Full-time child-minding! £800 a month. Ker - bloody - CHING!!!

Turns out that being an ex-cop (and no offence to you btw) doesn't automatically mean you have the skill set to (let's be honest) teach multiple subject to kids of various ages. Who knew? Well, they know now.

Not your fault. You were sent up that old sheet creek without a paddle.

Union. But, if you're to stay in schools, make sure you make the price of your leaving a fair reference. Don't just step into the void. Make the beggars work for it. They landed you in it so they need to take a hit. You'll go gracefully but you need a fair reference and TRY for the payment for those days off for interviews. It's not an entitlement but you could give it another shot.

Laphroig, Lara mfl 05 and thistledoo like this.
  20. richdebtomdom

Thank you all

Lara mfl 05 and thistledoo like this.