1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mixing watercolours

Discussion in 'Primary' started by greta444, Feb 4, 2012.

1. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I would use a thicker paint for a mosaic type picture. Perhaps acrylics. Also I wouldn't try to paint a mosaic. I would print it. Have you got any square shapes that can be used for printing. I have the ends of cuisinnaire rods in mind but your maths co-ordinator may not be too happy about that.

2. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Firstly, if they are educational supplies of hard little pans of watercolour, they are unlikely to be very high quality pigments and the binder will be so firm that you have to scrub away to get any paint off! You may also have a very unhelpful selection of colours for colour mixing.
    If at all possible get some tube paints: you would need lemon yellow, phthalo blue (green shade) and permanent rose (a sort of magenta pink). Do not get a bright red and hope to make purple. From these 3 you can get close to just about anything. Try googling colour mixing or one of the paint manufacturers for clues e.g. Winsor & Newton. Student grade colours will never be as bright but they will be cheaper. Designer gouache in tubes will be nice strong colours, reasonable price but may not be lightfast forever (!). Run out to the shops now!
    If you have to stick with what you have, you get clear greens from greeny blue + lemon yellow NOT anything like royal blue or ultramarine + golden yellow which all have too much red in them... You will have to scrub away at the paint pans so use tough brushes and not too much water or the paint will be very diluted. You can also drop a bit of water on each pan and go away until it softens up! Then it will be much easier to lift the colour.
    Hope that helps.

3. Regarding the idea of greta444 of using something to stamp or print the mosaic patter I agree that you will probably get a much better looking finished product. I have seen erasers cut up into appropriate sized stamp. Could be a cheap fix.... but I suppose you will need to check that the paint sticks to the ends properly, othewise you might be able to buy length of thin wood trim from the local hardware and have them cut it into 30 lengths for you. (or perhaps you are handy with a small saw). Would need to wipe inbetween uses or have a couple for each colour per table and have children rotate using them.

4. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Thank you all for your contributions, they are very helpful x