1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mixing classes on 5th and 6th year of primary school

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lilyofthefield, Jun 10, 2011.

1. My eldest attended a vertically mixed class when he was in Y3 and 4. This was logistical, as due to a blip, his year was mainly boys and had 34 pupils and the year above had 18 mainly girls.
    They mixed the two classes along broad friendship/ability/interest lines and reverted to age-grouping in Y5. It was positive for my son as he made new friends whom he would not have considered had they continued to be in the year above or below. His teachers were experienced and competent and had not the least difficulty in setting appropriate work at the right level - "the younger ones want to keep up, and the older ones are determined they won't" was one comment - it led to competition of a positive kind.
    If your daughter and her friends are reacting to this minor temporary rearrangement with crying and terror, then either they have been misled and misinformed and very badly prepared, or been encouraged by someone to think this is an appropriate response, or this school is actually an institution for girls with emotional disorders.

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

That's normal here.
    I don't know if I've taught in a school that doesn't do it.

3. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Yes, happens quite frequently. My daughter was in a mixed class last year and is looking forward to meeting up again with the older ones who have already started secondary. Some primary schools also have mixed year teaching sets for numeracy and literacy- which works quite well.

4. My daughter is taught in a mixed age group. My initial concern was that there would be a lot of repetition of work, but that's not the case at all. Her teachers plan on a two year cycle and there seems to be a lot of joint planning with other teachers. She enjoys being with the older children and, as Lily says, there seems to be some healthy competition with the older children setting the pace. Not a problem at all in our experience.

5. We changed to mixed year groups last year (across whole school). Parents and children were a bit worried as was I to be honest but it has worked really well, the kids don't seem to know the difference and when you are teaching it is still differentiated to meet needs etc and mixed year groups can help stretch the higher ability children. The only problem has been when only one year group can do something eg enter a sports competition, but thats only a small thing really.

6. lilachardy

I think I'm reading the OP slightly differently from the rest of you.

I don't think she means mixed year group classes, more that 3 parallel groups will be mixed together.

7. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Oh, yes. You could well be right. Still don't see the problem with mixing classes, though.

8. either way - why are the girls so upset?

9. Now I read it again I think you're right. In which case I find it astonishing that they are upset. This must be a school where they are <u>encouraged</u> not to get on with each other if this is such a threat! I really can't believe it!

10. lilachardy

Are the girl<u>s</u> upset, or is the OP's girl upset?

11. or - op - is it yourself upset most? all mums have done that one at some point, if we're honest

12. We change the class groupings every year from Y2 onwards. Until recently, our classes in KS2 were also mixed age (i.e. Y3/4). In this way, by Y6, the children really do feel 'as one' rather than tribal groups that have been together for years. As the children meet up in the playground and, sometimes, in maths or English sets, they still see their 'best' friends during the day. Very healthy for everyone, IMHO.