1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

mixed year group and maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sallysparrow, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Any one working in a school with mixed year classes ( mainly ks2) willing to describe how they approach maths teaching?
    we are having to have mixed year classes next year - exactly which ones and how many are yet to be decided. In the past i have worked with 3 x year 5/6 classes. we had a top year 5, a top year 6 and a mixed year 5/6 lower.
    my school has followed a 2 year rolling program in the past which has proved really difficult and resulted in many children having big gaps in their basic skills so i am keen to get a way from this. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    thanks

2. I've taught Year 2/3 and Year 4/5 in recent years.
    At a practical level, I try to "forget" what year group they are in and look at where they are in terms of the progression for whatever topic we're looking at - place value, calculation, area/perimeter etc. etc.
    The APP grids and the Pitch & Progression documents can be helpful for looking at differing skill levels for different areas of the maths curriculum.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In the past I've done the same as cathyd and just taught the children at whatever level they are. Year group is largely irrelevant. If you want to go down the setting route then it is probably better to just have a top, middle and bottom set made up of children of similar ability.

4. Thank you both for your replies.
    So what do you use to plan - do you go by the APP? or other method of moving the children on?
    we are in the difficult position of having only recently come out of special measures and we have a largely inexperienced staff who have been spoon fed this last year as NQTs. This has resulted in an over reliance on things like primary framework rather then need of individual / groups of children.

5. I start with the key objective/topic headings from the Primary Framework blocks - place value, multiplication, 24-hour time, problem solving or whatever.
    I created myself a "headlines" Medium Term Plan for each term to make sure I got the coverage. I've been able to re-use it this year because it doesn't have too much detail on it.
    The only difference this year is that I've brought Block E forward to just after half term as we were never getting to spend enough time on fractions work. Year 6 have done the same.
    Then I use the APP grids to help me identify what my kids OUGHT to be able to do...! (It has helped enormously this year having 1/2 the class for the second year running, because I have a much clearer idea of what their strengths/weaknesses are.
    The Rising Stars study guide books are a surprisingly useful resource - there is one for each KS2 year group and they have a double-paged spread for each area of maths you want to teach, set out in a very user-friendly (and NQT/student-friendly!) way.
    The other thing I tend to do is plan from the top down. That is, I aim my planning at my higher attaining children (not the G&T pair though...) and differentiate downwards, rather than start from the middle and work up/down.
    My biggest issues these days are with maturity differences rather than academic differences!
    Good luck.
    Cathy