1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mixed Year 1/2 teaching.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tinysmall, May 31, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    I'll be an NQT come July; I recently went for a Reception teacher job interview and got offered a job at the school, but in the mixed age Yr1/2 class instead!
    My training is early years biased, and I haven't taught Year 2 at all.
    Really
    I'm looking for as much advice as possible before the summer holidays,
    so that I can spend time researching, reading up and preparing.
    I'm due a handover in July with the current teacher, so that will help, but I need to know what I should be asking!
    Any
    tips, advice, web sites, books, 'wish I'd knowns', must-dos,
    organisational advice, differentiation (how on earth do you plan and
    teach across two ages? Same objectives, just differentiated work, or
    what?) - from those who have taught mixed ages?
    I'm at that 'I
    know I don't know, but I don't know what it is I don't know' stage - so
    any advice or avenues to follow would be much appreciated!

2. Ive taught Mixed Y1/2 and am now teaching just Y1, and its not hugely different to be honest. What you need to remember is that the frameworks are not a legal requirement and if your school does use them, you can generally choose which one you want to follow and just differentiate accordingly. Id tend to choose Y2, and then differentiate down for your Y1s. It will depend on how your school want you to do it, make sure you get some copies of the previous teachers planning and see how she's done it.
    Are you likely to have more able Y1s? If you have a complete mix, it will be trickier as you will have children that are working with numbers up to 1000 alongside children still learning numbers to 20. Make excellent use of your TA, if you have one.
    Bare in mind that if your school still does the Y2 SATs, that Spring 2 and Summer 1 terms can be taken up quite alot with SATs preperation and implementation. You will need to be very careful that your Y1s do not see or join in with the direct input for the SATs as this will put them at an unfair advantage next year - though there is nothing to stop them taking part in your earlier preparatory work as long as it isnt the actual SATs task they are accessing. Again, im sure the other staff will give you lots of support with this - its just something to be aware of.
    It is honestly not that different to teaching a straight year group - like any year group, you just have to differentiate to the extremes.

3. Thank you :)