1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mixed Y2, Y3, Y4 class

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Marshall, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Does anyone have experience of this? How does it work with SATs?
    I am thinking of reorganising in this way. The other alternative is moving certain Y2 children up but I can forsee problems from parents with this
    I have also posted this on primary forum.

2. Few years ago but tried a few versions. I have taught Y2/3 and Y2/3/4 and most possible combinations too. Y2/3/4 works well I think as Y2 have something up aspire to and older children learn to be caring and responsible. Having an engaging approach which is 'playful' for all is a good way to put across how you can meet the needs of 3 age groups. After a while you just see abity and learning need regardless of age. Sats: Do the same tasks with extra challenges with Y3/4 when it comes to teacher assessment and you'll have plenty of assessment evidence all round. Have also tried Y4/5/6 which I found harder for Y4 due to maturity gap. Y2/3/4 get on quite well and play similar games.

3. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Thanks - that's very helpful!