1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mixed Sets Poll

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Nov 25, 2015.

?

Please respond according to PRIMARY or SECONDARY - TEACH or DON'T TEACH - LIKE or DON'T LIKE

1. SECONDARY - TEACH mixed sets - LIKE teaching mixed sets

2. SECONDARY - TEACH mixed sets - DON'T LIKE teaching mixed sets

3. SECONDARY - DON'T TEACH mixed sets - LIKE teaching mixed sets

4. SECONDARY - DON'T TEACH mixed sets - DON'T LIKE teaching mixed sets

5. PRIMARY - TEACH mixed sets - LIKE teaching mixed sets

6. PRIMARY - TEACH mixed sets - DON'T LIKE teaching mixed sets

7. PRIMARY - DON'T TEACH mixed sets - LIKE teaching mixed sets

8. PRIMARY - DON'T TEACH mixed sets - DON'T LIKE teaching mixed sets

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

[​IMG]

Thanks for your response and please feel free to comment below.

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Do you mean mixed ability classes?

3. Vince_Ulam

Yes, I do. The poll assumes mainstream schools.

4. lilachardy

I need to clarify my vote. All sets are effectively mixed ability, and I enjoy that.What I don't enjoy is trying to prepare students that vary so much they are taking different exams.

With my other hat on, all classes are mixed ability, and I like that.

5. Vince_Ulam

6. lilachardy

Yes. In some subjects, where numbers allow.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

In my old school... it was mixed ability in my subject area. And Maths and Science were set but English wasn't.

I don't have much experience of set teaching therefore I voted for mixed/like it. Hard to vote otherwise for me.

8. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Situation is more complex than this - I worked in some comprehensives which banded in some subjects, were mixed ability in others, and set in some; I also worked in selective schools which were mixed ability (within the selective set up) in most subjects, but set in others.

9. Vince_Ulam

The question asked by the poll is whether people teach mixed sets, not whether their school's entire curriculum is mixed for each year.

10. lilachardy

Actually, I regret my vote now. I teach one subject which is set, and another which is not.
    My set class varies from A* down to a D/E grade... I'd call that mixed ability, even though it is an ability set.

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I do love dolly mixtures!

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Over the years my pancreas has become less fond of them. My teeth mainly gave up years ago.

13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

The little pink jap dessert ones are my favourites. They come in chocolate flavour too but I don't see any of those in the picture.

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I teach EFL and students are definitely in classes appropriate to their level!!

15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

It depends on the subject. Art? Mixed ability. English? Streamed.

16. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Being serious for once, I think streaming is OK up to a point, and in my day at secondary school, we were made to do what were essentially IQ tests, but this never crossed the boundaries of our "house" set, which was probably the right way to go about it. Some children are late developers, and some have very pushy parents, and so streaming early on can be detrimental especially for boys. I have encountered schools whom are obsessed with streaming across everything, whereas the child may be G&T in some areas, but not others. The trouble is, the school speaks to itself for results, whereas it should be speaking to the child, and this is why I have always taken the law into my own hands if necessary, to jump out of those schools who have the thinking of Nelly the Elephant.

17. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Set for maths, love it. Set for English hate it.

18. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Music is never set. I like it. Ability in music is often nothing compared to ability in maths and English so if they were set according to that, it would still be nixed ability anyway.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-views/why-grouping-students-doesnt-work

In the 27 November issue of TES, headteacher Sam Hunter explains how she has stopped using setting at her primary school, prompted by a colleague who visited a school where ability-grouped tables went from "Killer Whale" to "Plankton".

To accompany the feature, TES asked Becky Francis, professor of education and social justice at King's College London, to provide an update on the Education Endowment Foundation-funded project she is leading, 'Best Practice in Grouping Students'. You can watch the video [in the link]

20. Vince_Ulam

That's brilliant.