1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Mixed messages/Confused!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by RR1, Apr 1, 2012.

  1. RR1

    RR1 New commenter

    Hi,

    I had an interview for an overseas post back in Feb by Skype. It seemed to go well and at the end the Principal said he'could definitely see a place for me in the school'! 2 weeks later my agency rang to say that I had not got it and the feedback was that there was no particular reason other than other candidates fulfilled the position better. Fair enough. However, 2 weeks after this the agency rang me and asked if I would have a second interview for the same job with the Head of department, They said the Principal said that if he had gone with his heart he would have offered me the job originally but that he went with his business head and offered it to a teaching couple as the 'killed two birds with one stone' so to speak. The couple had now split up and were not taking up the position now. I had another interview by Skype with the co-ordinator and head of primary which again seemed to go very well. At the end one of them said 'so if we were to offer you the position would you accept?' I said 'definitely' and she said 'I was hoping you would say that'. They said they would let me know in 3 days. A week later when I had not heard anything I rang the agency who said that the feedback they had was that the school had a 'niggling doubt' about me and still had not made a decision. That was last week and I still have heard nothing. Now I am very confused but I really really want this job! My question is (and I apologise for the very long post) should I email the school directly ( and copy the agency in) to find out just what the problem is? Or is this a big no-no? I have a trailing spouse,two children and a dog so I know I am the more expensive option but they have really raised my hopes up both times and I would really like to know just what the problem is.
    Any advice would be very much appreciated.
     
  2. RR1

    RR1 New commenter

    Hi,

    I had an interview for an overseas post back in Feb by Skype. It seemed to go well and at the end the Principal said he'could definitely see a place for me in the school'! 2 weeks later my agency rang to say that I had not got it and the feedback was that there was no particular reason other than other candidates fulfilled the position better. Fair enough. However, 2 weeks after this the agency rang me and asked if I would have a second interview for the same job with the Head of department, They said the Principal said that if he had gone with his heart he would have offered me the job originally but that he went with his business head and offered it to a teaching couple as the 'killed two birds with one stone' so to speak. The couple had now split up and were not taking up the position now. I had another interview by Skype with the co-ordinator and head of primary which again seemed to go very well. At the end one of them said 'so if we were to offer you the position would you accept?' I said 'definitely' and she said 'I was hoping you would say that'. They said they would let me know in 3 days. A week later when I had not heard anything I rang the agency who said that the feedback they had was that the school had a 'niggling doubt' about me and still had not made a decision. That was last week and I still have heard nothing. Now I am very confused but I really really want this job! My question is (and I apologise for the very long post) should I email the school directly ( and copy the agency in) to find out just what the problem is? Or is this a big no-no? I have a trailing spouse,two children and a dog so I know I am the more expensive option but they have really raised my hopes up both times and I would really like to know just what the problem is.
    Any advice would be very much appreciated.
     
  3. Sorry, but ask yourself, "would I really want to work for an organisation that treats prospective employees so shabbily?" I'm sure you're better than that. I understand you might really want the job, but doing an interview by Skype in the comfort of your own environment, and then actually being there and kind of relying on that school to look after you in the first instance are 2 very different scenarios, and I don't think they've shown any kind of committment to you so far. Beware!
     
  4. RR1

    RR1 New commenter

    Thanks brunocat, I did think that myself but the package is excellent, its in the year group that I really want and I have been waiting for a position to come up in this country for ages that's family friendly. This is why I am still keen.
    Aside from this does anyone know if its 'allowed' to contact a school directly for feedback if the agency does not seem to be getting it for me??
     
  5. Karvol

    Karvol Occasional commenter

    You are an adult. Do you really need someones permission to get in touch with a prospective employer?
    If anything, if you get the job, the agency will get its cut, so it is a win-win situation.
    Unless, of course, the school then refuses to pay the agency its cut, in which case it is a win-lose situation.
    Or the agency sues you for their share, in which case it is a lose-win situation.
    Or the school gets annoyed at you and refuses point blank, in which case it is a lose-lose situation.
    In your position, I would just email the agency to inform them that you will be getting in touch with the school directly.
     
  6. RR1

    RR1 New commenter

    Thanks Karvol, I will do that! Good advice!
     
  7. happygreenfrog

    happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

    The agency brought you and the school together and will get their cut, so contact the school directly and find out what is going on. Tell them you have another interesting option and you need an answer by the weekend.
    To be honest I'm surprised they interviewed you a second time. A school recently came back to me in a similar manner and, having already interrogated me for a post: a very dull interview I must say, simply offered me a job.
     
  8. RR1

    RR1 New commenter

    Hi happygreenfrog. Yes I was surprised too but assumed that the HOD and Coordinator which I would be working directly with just wanted to check mel out too so was happy to do it. It was a very upbeat interview. Having never worked abroad before I assumed it was standard practice. Will contact them and will post the outcome. Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate them.
     
  9. happygreenfrog

    happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

    The difference with the job I was offered was probably that it was an immediate start and candidates with my experience were probably in short supply.
    In your case, I assume it is a September/August start and when they rang you and asked if you'd re-interview, they probably also asked a host of other candidates to do the same again. You will rightly be feeling you are their preferred candidate yet are probably simply one of a smaller select group, all of whom are sadly feeling like you.
    In general I've found interviews for overseas posts are more relaxed and less formal than they are back home. Good luck with it all.
     
  10. RR1

    RR1 New commenter

    Hi Happygreenfrog,

    Just to let you know I emailed the school, copied the agency in and got a reply apologising and saying the principal had been off ill so all recruiting decisions had to be put on hold but that they hoped to have an answer shortly. Yesterday, I got en email from the school yesterday offering me the job!! Yay! So thank you for your excellent advice. Now I have to start sorting out my house here, dog , etc.....so much work!!
     
  11. Steady on. I wouldnt get too excited if what you've said about the history is anything is anything to go by. I'd tread warily and apply elsewhere. I know many who have gone off to high paying schools where they ultimately feel trapped and treated like second rate employees. I'd read up on the school, make some internal contacts, do my research 110% if I was taking any of my family with me. Sorry to sound negative but first impressions are usually how things pan out ultimately. I wish you well.
     

Share This Page