1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mixed F2 Year 1 class size!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ab463, Jun 21, 2011.

1. In September I was supposed to be having a class of 20 F2 children and 10 year 1 children. Following families appealing yesterday the LA has stated that we have got to accept another F2 child. This means we will have a total of 31 children, between myself and a TA. Is this legal?

2. In September I was supposed to be having a class of 20 F2 children and 10 year 1 children. Following families appealing yesterday the LA has stated that we have got to accept another F2 child. This means we will have a total of 31 children, between myself and a TA. Is this legal?

3. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

no
    can some of the year1 move to the next class,I am pressuming there must be more year1 somewhere?

4. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

no
    could some of the year1 move to the next class? I am pressuming there are more year1 somewhere..perhaps in a year1 /year2 class?

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Yes it is legal as I assume the reason is there has been an error in the admissions process
    Excepted pupils
    In extremely limited circumstances, an infant class may have more than 30 pupils.
    Pupils may be admitted in unforeseen circumstances, e.g.
    • Where a child moves into an area outside the normal admissions round and there is no other school within a reasonable distance (for advice contact PSU).
    • Where a child receives a statement of special educational needs naming the school, outside the normal admissions round.
    • Where an extra place has to be offered because an error has been made in the admissions process that leads to a pupil being refused a place incorrectly.

• Where an appeal panel decides that an admission authority has made an error which denied the child a place or has acted unreasonably in initially refusing to admit a pupil.

Pupils admitted for the above reasons are classed as excepted pupils. The class may remain in excess of 30 pupils only for the remainder of the academic year. The following September the school will need to agree arrangements with the LEA to comply with the limit.