1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mixed class KS1 placement - tips please!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ctomBFC, Dec 19, 2010.

1. I've just found out my 2nd year placement starting in January is going to be in KS1. I have looked on the school's website and have seen they have two mixed Reception/year 1 classes and one Y1/Y2 class, therefore I'm going to be in a mixed age class!

I've never seen a mixed age class let alone had any experience in one! And I've only spent an hour in KS1 when taking a year 3 class to year 2 class to show their pop up books!

So I'm feeling quite nervous (and excited!) about this and any tips that could be offered would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. I found my mixed age classes to be no different to teaching a single year group class except the objectives were taken from both the year groups' framework objectives to suit the groups.
    Your mentor in school will be able to help you with the planning and differentiation as always, but I didn't find it to be that different once I got into the swing of it.
    And KS1 (as many will tell you on the Primary forum) is really enjoyable and fun to be in.
    I've got a mixed 3/4 class for my last placement of my degree, also starting in January. Can't wait!
    JSY x

3. FOB

FOB

I have to agree - I was very concerned about teaching in a mixed age class before I did it. My eldest daughter had been on the raw end of a mixed age class gone wrong, so I was very dubious!
    Having now done mixed age and key stage with a yr 2/3 class and then a whole KS2 class in a tiny school I have to say I love the challenge of it! You do have to be on the ball and really personalise the objectives for the children to make the most of it - once you have gotten to understand where each child is in terms of their work then I have found that you can ALMOST forget which year they are in and just teach for their own progression. In my yr2/3 class the top ability children were often the yr2 children, feeling 'free' to use KS2 objectives to progess them was great.
    I guess it isn't for everyone, but the benefit of doing it during your training is that if you don't like it you don't have to do it for too long! That and not everyone will be able to put mixed age teaching on their CV - it has taught me a great deal in terms of personalising learning and I'm so glad I've had the opportunity to do it. Have fun!
    xx

4. Well I've been in school several times now, and love it! Start my 5weeks block next week and cannot wait! :D x

5. This is what we like to hear!!
    Good luck for your block!
    As I posted up there ^^^^ I am in a mixed 3/4 class, and I too am loving it. Perfect placement to finish off my degree.
    JSY