1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mixed Aged Classes Mastery of Maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clio21, Feb 7, 2016.

1. clio21

clio21 New commenter

Does anyone have any advise for teaching a mastery approach to mixed aged classes? I am teaching year 5 & 6.
    Any help gratefully received!

2. TeachWithMissD

TeachWithMissD New commenter

Hi, I've always taught two (and three) parallel lessons for maths in mixed aged classes. I think this allows all my kids to concentrate on their own objective and really grasp an understanding of it rather than having to also focus on another objective in the background. It involved a lot of fast pace movement around the class during the lesson but this keeps them engaged. I get them to peer assess a lot during the times I am working with the other year group - means they are able to vocalise their understanding/mastery too!

3. WRMaths

WRMaths New commenter

Hi
    One of our Work Groups has been to look at this issue. We have come up with some overviews and some guidance working with mixed year teachers from across the region. They are just being finalised at the moment. If you would like a draft copy of them feel free to email mathshub@trinityacademyhalifax.org and I would be happy to send you a copy of what we have done so far.
    They align with our schemes, just things in a different order. There are then some suggestions on what teaching and learning might look like.

4. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Start them all at the same point, but have tasks ready that allow them to move on to applying the skill. It will become obvious quickly who has understood the skill, so either intervene and move them on, or with Y5 and Y6 train them to recognise it for themselves.

Example: rounding. Teach the skill. Simple task - round these numbers to the nearest ten, hundred, thousand. Start them off.

Then where you can see they're racing through and have got it, move them on to estimating calculations or investigationg all numbers that round to 3010 etc.

For the ones who aren't getting it, pull them in and try a different approach, give them number lines, simplify the task so they have the chance to practise.

It's not difficult to prepare a lesson like this, all the activities on ones sheet, or a decent textbook that grades the activities as they work through. What this approach does do, however, is free the teacher up to teach, instead of worrying about following a rigid lesson plan.

Doesn't work for everything, but I've found that even supposedly 'lower ability' pupils in a mixed aged group can really surprise you with grasping something quicker, and this way they have the opportunity to progress as quickly as everyone else.

5. TeachWithMissD

TeachWithMissD New commenter

^^ Target Your Maths books are great for this - they differentiate by pace rather than task. A method I find so useful in mixed age classes!

whitestag likes this.
  6. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Agreed - the target maths books are very good!

bearubyd likes this.
  7. clio21

clio21 New commenter

Thank you I will email you!