1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mixed aged class supply - Help!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Moorekl, Feb 2, 2012.

1. I have been booked in to do a morning of supply tomorrow in a mixed reception/year1/year2 class. I have no experience of reception and very little experience of year1. Any ideas for literacy and numeracy would be great!! I need lessons that will cover all abilities as I will have no TA support.

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Are they not leaving plans for you.
    No TA, 3year groups? I wouldn't plan anything super duper. Some oral storytelling?

3. I have to take my own planning. This is the first assignment that I'm not looking forward to. I'm just so nervous. About the reception particularly. I've heard they have a lot of free choice activities. Does that mean I have to plan lots of activities?

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Nope, there will be toys and activities in the classroom. They can choose from them.

5. I thought about reading the gruffalo and doing some differentiated activities around that. Any ideas for numeracy? I normally teach year 5 and although I have had some experience of year 1 I have never taught numeracy.

6. Literacy: Read or show a short story to them, then have groups (mixed ability) act it/part of it/freeze frame. If there is a class/school camera and school policy allows it, take photos to leave for the teacher to print out and stick in books as part of assessment/evidence of work.
    Numeracy: run through basic shape names (2-D, extend to 3-D for HA) and their properties. Then have children go on a "shape hunt" in the classroom/outside area (if you can prepare a little worksheet for them with this, that would help a lot).Encourage children to draw what they find or, even better if there are class cameras available, to take pictures.
    I once covered an RE lesson which I liked and plan to keep up my sleeves for emergencies: discuss the traits of well-known celebrations (Christmas, Easter, Eid, Diwali etc). Highlight things these celebrationshave in common (food, gathering, music, gifts) and then have children create their own with a picture/poster to go with it.
    Good luck!

7. I do not have much experience of reception but I would generally advise against trying much whole class teaching with that age range.
    Instead I would have some maths activities and take a small group at a time whilst others have free choice or an independent activity and if you have a ta they can lead an activitiy also. I would then do the same for Literacy.
    You could also have some intercative whiteboard activities that you could rotate also.
    Hope this helps!