1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Mixed age year 5/6 - where do the year 6s fit in when not doing boosters?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LisaBE, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am new to teaching a mixed age class this term, much less a 5/6 mixed class. I was wondering how other teachers in my position manage to incorporate the year 6s back into the classroom, when they return from having booster sessions?
    As of the first week back after this Feb half term, my HLTA will be taking the year 6s for booster classes in maths and English for three mornings a week, and I will teach the year 5s. While this shouldn't be too much of a problem with numeracy (as we use the Abacus scheme and many sessions are stand alones), I'm struggling to see how I'm going to bring the year 6s back in for the two mornings a week when the whole class is together. I'm wondering whether I should cover two different units at the same time, one for just the year 5s and one for all children - but surely this will be confusing for both the children and myself?! Or perhaps, the year 5s could take a leadership role and have the responsibility of filling the year 6s in on the two days they are all together?
    It is very late to leave it I know, but I only started in my current post after Christmas, and have spent the first half term getting to grips with things. I'm really at a loss here and would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks!

2. Hi,
    I am new to teaching a mixed age class this term, much less a 5/6 mixed class. I was wondering how other teachers in my position manage to incorporate the year 6s back into the classroom, when they return from having booster sessions?
    As of the first week back after this Feb half term, my HLTA will be taking the year 6s for booster classes in maths and English for three mornings a week, and I will teach the year 5s. While this shouldn't be too much of a problem with numeracy (as we use the Abacus scheme and many sessions are stand alones), I'm struggling to see how I'm going to bring the year 6s back in for the two mornings a week when the whole class is together. I'm wondering whether I should cover two different units at the same time, one for just the year 5s and one for all children - but surely this will be confusing for both the children and myself?! Or perhaps, the year 5s could take a leadership role and have the responsibility of filling the year 6s in on the two days they are all together?
    It is very late to leave it I know, but I only started in my current post after Christmas, and have spent the first half term getting to grips with things. I'm really at a loss here and would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks!

3. Could you structure your Literacy lessons so that the ones the Y6s join in on are focused on written outcomes so that it builds their confidence with text types? Or, set the Y6s some independent project work? Last year I did a Unit of work on Aliens which involved writing in a range of styles, all based around an alien the children had created themselves.

4. Thanks ever so much for that. I've decided to do a Big Writing-ish session once a week with all y5/6, then a sentence/word level session for the other morning when they're all together. This way, all the children are getting useful revision on the different text types, and practice in tweaking their word and sentence skills.

Next year though, I think I'll try your idea of the character as a basis for other text types - that sounds like a nice way to tie everything in together.

How do you structure your booster sessions with the year 6s? It would really interesting to see how everyone else does it!