1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mixed age science Y4/5

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Pippi, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Pippi

Pippi New commenter

Does anyone have an example of how to make mixed age science planning work? We will have 3/4, 4/5, and 5/6. I can't see how to plan without some children missing or repeating topics. We will teach English and maths by year groups with an extra teacher, history & geography can be a rolling program, but science??? Help!

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

I don't know what you're using for planning science but you should be able to have a rolling programme for this as with history, geography etc. How do you ensure children don't miss or repeat topics in these subjects? Mixed age planning for maths is usually harder for people to get their heads around.

3. Pippi

Pippi New commenter

We have been using Collins, but it is rather too much content, so we adapt. Do you mean a rolling programme so everyone does e.g. Light one year out of 4? Works okay for some things perhaps, but wouldn't others like evolution be hard for Y3? (I'm a bit new to KS2 so don't have a deep knowledge of the content).

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

I was imagining a rolling programme for each of the classes. So year A and B for Y3/4 for example. This way topics can be allocated more appropriately.

Pippi likes this.
  5. Pippi

Pippi New commenter

So far, so straightforward. But how do others fit 4/5 into the mix?