1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mixed age classes

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by katiemcg83, Jun 26, 2019.

1. katiemcg83

katiemcg83 New commenter

Hi all,

I am currently working over seas and the owner of our company is interested in EYFS / continuous provision style classrooms but considering using somewhere that is a huge space and having up to 3 classes (mixed age range from 3 to 6 years). I am wondering if anyone has any experience of such a varied age range and utilising large (indoor spaces).

If anyone has any photos or links to photos i would be eternally grateful! The curriculum itself is not the issue as we have that and can make some big adjustments. Its more the timing and flexibility / use of space with up to 3 classes/ grades sharing one large space.

I dont know the actual size right now as they are considering tearing down walls to create a more open area. I am early years trained in the UK but moved overseas 10 years ago and am in Japan in a private setting not currently very play based from the ages 3 to 6 (we teach 1 to 6 year olds). Our current system is one classroom per class with no continuous provision.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I wouldn't recommend tearing down walls and having one large space, but maybe having different provision in the different rooms with easy transition between them. So the children still have CP, but can't just race about madly. Also keeping some space for smaller group times and/or quieter spaces is useful.

Much as I totally agree with the idea of CP for all of 1 to 6 year olds, the needs of the 3 year olds will be very different to that of the 6 year olds. The equipment and activities within CP will need to be different and you might find the 3 year olds spoil some of the things that would benefit the older ones and vice versa.