1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mixed age class...advice needed!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lucy103, May 23, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I have a mixed age class (Reception, Year one and Year two). I have been teaching at the school for nearly a year now and have recently completed my NQT year.
    There are 22 children in the class (14 Rec, 6 year one, 2 year two) and I have a couple of children with some difficult needs (One child has a full statement and I have another with some severe emotional difficulties that can lead to aggression).
    Next year I will gain 8 new Reception children, giving me a class of 28.
    At the moment I have a full time general TA but due to money constraints I won't have her at all next year.
    Is anybody else in a similar situation..?
    Any advice about how to deal with large mixed age classes would be so appreciated..I am sure it is the same for most teachers but there are days where I can feel myself going a little bit mad!! :)
    Thanks in advance!
    Lucy x

2. Hello,
    I have a mixed age class (Reception, Year one and Year two). I have been teaching at the school for nearly a year now and have recently completed my NQT year.
    There are 22 children in the class (14 Rec, 6 year one, 2 year two) and I have a couple of children with some difficult needs (One child has a full statement and I have another with some severe emotional difficulties that can lead to aggression).
    Next year I will gain 8 new Reception children, giving me a class of 28.
    At the moment I have a full time general TA but due to money constraints I won't have her at all next year.
    Is anybody else in a similar situation..?
    Any advice about how to deal with large mixed age classes would be so appreciated..I am sure it is the same for most teachers but there are days where I can feel myself going a little bit mad!! :)
    Thanks in advance!
    Lucy x