1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mixed age bubble ideas please.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fly, May 25, 2020.

1. fly

fly New commenter

I will have a bubble of 8 children - 2 from Y1, 3 from Reception, 2 from 2nd year of nursery and one from first year of nursery so much younger. First session of the day is 1 and a half hours long, whilst other bubbles play out and toilet etc. ( Very big school!) I plan to stop for snack and story after an hour to break it up. I want to try and keep to some activities to cover some EYFS areas and teach the bright Year Ones too. Very little equipment allowed. I’m going to buy each child a washing up bowl for their own water play and washing up! Any thoughts about activities etc gratefully received. Thanks.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Let the nursery and reception children play while you do some phonics or maths with year 1 for 15-20 mins or so. Then swap and teach the reception while year 1s play with the littlies...they will all benefit from this in a great many ways.
    Then maybe do a craft activity, but if the nursery children aren't interested, let them choose their play. If they are interested then let them do their own thing if they can't follow your instructions. Year1 might end up with something approaching what you planned, Reception a good go and nursery 2 a vague similarity and nursery 1 something utterly different.

Then join in the play and use your knowledge and ideas to move it on if you can. If not, it's ok to just join in and give a running commentary of what the youngest are doing and ask the older how you can join in.

Check your school are allowing water play...some are and some aren't. You also won't need a bowl each within the bubble, they can share with each other, but not other bubbles.

Have you got them all week? What age do you usually teach? Which age classroom will you be in?
    'What to expect when' is a great document, which has some ideas for environments.

Lots of cleaning, but no social distancing is apparently the order of the day!
    No sand and no soft toys. Nothing that can't be cleaned easily. So most toys should be fine.

Enjoy! I'd love this bubble!

sunshineneeded likes this.
  3. fly

fly New commenter

Thank you! Was hoping you would reply!
    Very good advice, with lots to think about. Have recently taught in KS2 but prefer younger children. Each of our bubbles is in for 2 days each week, with one teacher and one TA. I think I’ll find some lovely picture books that they can all enjoy and then weave some maths, phonics and writing activities connected with the story into my version of free choice continuous provision. There are very few resources that I will be able to use but that’s part of the challenge now. The first step will be to help them all settle back into school, with sensitivity, reassurance and hopefully a bit of fun! Does that sound about right? Thanks for your help.

4. fly

fly New commenter

Meeting my bubble TA at school tomorrow and will share your suggestions. Perfect response - thank you.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Two of you with eight children should be able to offer year based teaching of academic bits for the older ones and be able to play 'with' the younger ones.
    Hope the meeting went well and have a lovely time next week.