1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mitterand's Last Meal

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Dec 29, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Did anyone listen to the clip?
    Part of the thing that interested me about the story was how does anyone devise a dish like this and how does it become something to literally die for? Especially as the reporter described eating it it as a mixture of sublime pleasure and disgust.
    Another part was how can a person who is responsible for making laws, flagrently break the law of his nation as a final gesture?
    And then there's the bit about taking the decision it would be the last meal he would eat and neither eat nor drink anything further till he died, refusing any further medical help.
    If you knew that death is imminent, is there a meal you'd choose to be your very last?

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Two words,French and politician!

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I didn't listen, but I've read about this concerning Mitterand before, and indeed have read about the eating of Ortolan before.
    I think it's partly down to the French attitude to food and eating. The idea that the right to such a feast (indeed any feast, but particularly one that is undeniably French) is immutable and as such, subject to no laws, or at least none that can't be ignored.
    I posted about this once before. It would be a choice between:
    A feast, featuring, in various quantities: Oysters; Krug; foie gras; Sauternes; soupe de poissons; roast rib of beef with pommes daupinoise; Gigondas; a lot of cheese; tawny port; apple pie; calvados; excellent coffee, petirs fours and a Monte Cristo cigar with a bottle of Armagnac
    or
    Double egg and chips and a vast pot of Yorkshire tea.

The difficulty in choosing would be that I'd propably prefer the latter, yet the first would take ages and I'd sleep through the death part at the end...

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Apparently, Mitterand drifted in and out of consciousness throughout the meal. He'd eat ravenously for a bit, fall asleep then awake and tuck in with gusto again like a man on a mission.

5. Yes, but it would be completely unfeasible.
    I'd settle for one of my mum's amazing Christmas dinners.
    To be honest, anything cooked by my mum would be brilliant. She was a fabulous cook and baker. I miss her food more than I can possibly convey in words.