1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Misunderstandings

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Apr 22, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

We were discussing writing to advise.

We read a text about leaving home. We discussed what advice we would give to someone who was leaving home.

I asked the students to write 5 bullet points, using modal verbs, to give advice.

One student wrote, 'Write 5 bullet points using modal verbs, giving advice.' Not a SEND learner.

I did chuckle to myself whilst keeping a straight face as I explained the task, again, and again with the help of other students. :):D

sbkrobson likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Hilarious.

Lara mfl 05 and needabreak like this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Oh dear perhaps they were used to trad chalk and talk with a bit of write this down (dictation) thrown in... :rolleyes: I fear we are in for a bit more of this.o_O

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

How are you getting on with your new form ?

With a sense of humour as funny as yours every form time must be a riot...right ?

5. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

Don't be so nasty, peakster.

coffeekid and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah personal attacks... always funny... :rolleyes:

7. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

..and you can be quiet and sit down again, too lan.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When I moved from London to Derbyshire in the late 80s I was doing rhymes and finger games with my Nursery class. I asked them to 'Put your hands in the air' which they heard as 'Put your hands in thee 'air' and did so. They wondered why I creased up laughing. 30 years later, I don't think that would happen as the broad Derbyshire accent has diluted to such an extent.

9. delmamerchant

It is going really well. This group are positive and responsive.

Thank you for asking.

coffeekid likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

11. delmamerchant

:):D

12. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

It's a shame the way accents have been diluted.

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ha ha, bless 'em all. This is why we will always love our jobs.

Let's not forget those Year 7s and their literal responses...only before January, mind, because this is the year when they are 100% definitively informed Santa does not exist.

This response in particular endeared me completely-

Teacher-"can you give us your 3 answers please James?
    James-"erm, I think it's six, then sixty, then sixty six"
    Teacher "excellent work, you're almost there, but how about the other way round? Do you not think that would work better?"
    James- "Hmmm." Stands up, turns chair to face back of room, sits down. Now audibly muffled to teacher, but equal certitude "I think it's six, then sixty, then sixty six".
    Rest of class nods earnestly. Teacher swiftly uses bottom desk drawer to discard and redraft face.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Dragonlady30 likes this.
  14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It's a natural consequence of people moving round the country for jobs, social mobility involving people changing their accent/dialect to fit in and the influence of TV. New accents and dialects also develop e.g. Estuary English and the Jamaican patois/Cockney used by many young people. It is what it is ;).

15. delmamerchant

That is funny:D

16. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I remember my flatmate returning from a placement in Geordieland and quizzing us all as to what "wadwate" might suggest as the description of the previous day's activity.
    We had our tea.
    Obvs.

InkyP likes this.