1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mistakes on display work...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gsm1380, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Hello

I am in Year 4 and we have recently written some newspaper articles for our work on the Olympics. The children did this in their books and then I marked it etc. and then they did it on a newspaper template for our board. This was some of the best writing they have done all year. The problem is, some of them have still made mistakes! Missing punctuation and spelling errors on complex words.

What do you do when they have done a fantastic page of writing, beautifully presented, buy they started the second paragraph without a capital letter?? It's done in pen so I can't even sneakily edit it myself!

Should they still go up?

2. Hello

I am in Year 4 and we have recently written some newspaper articles for our work on the Olympics. The children did this in their books and then I marked it etc. and then they did it on a newspaper template for our board. This was some of the best writing they have done all year. The problem is, some of them have still made mistakes! Missing punctuation and spelling errors on complex words.

What do you do when they have done a fantastic page of writing, beautifully presented, buy they started the second paragraph without a capital letter?? It's done in pen so I can't even sneakily edit it myself!

Should they still go up?

3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I would say yes. You say it is some of their best work - so demonstrates improvement, and deserves to be displayed.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes, but can't they correct it themselves? Just overwrite neatly and carefully.

Or add a caption that says "We have made 12 errors for you to find. Can you find them all?" or some such.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Would an ink eraser work? You could then make the correction yourself - but make sure you allow the correction fluid dry before you overwrite it - it can look very messy and obvious otherwise.
    I've sometimes written the correct spelling very lightly in pencil - but being very careful not to spoil their work.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Does ot matter that display work isn't absolutely perfect?

7. Ofsted will pick up on it, they did with us.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Pick up on what? That you only display perfect work and any child who doesn't meet perfection is doomed never to have their work displayed?

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ofsted had bigger fish to fry in our school. Things like learning, attainment, teaching, leadership and all that sort of thing. Didn't even notice many of the displays, let alone go over them with a fine tooth comb.

Just stick the work up. If ofsted book a visit and it worries you, you can always change it then.

10. Year 4? In my school we would put up the display, warts and all! I do like the "find the mistakes" idea.
    However, if it were Y6, then that would be a different story.

11. I put it up with mistakes - if the children are daft enough not to notice my corrections then I think that says more about them than it does me. I always have a writing display outside my room for parents' evening and sometimes point parents in that direction if they think little Johnny is positively perfect just so they can compare their child's work with others in the class. Cue evil laughter and stroking of moustache from me!

12. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

I have no problems putting up work with mistakes. If it has been redrafted by the child,marked by me (NOT correcting every single mistake!) and then put it up. At what point does it become your work and not the child's? My class has recently done some super work. It is on display. It has mistakes. It is their work! Some children would never get a chance to shine if perfection was the order of the day.

13. Agree that as long as there has been an editing process in place, their finished work should still go up. It needs to reflect what the child can actually do.
    Sums it up perfectly for me.
    Also would agree that Ofsted will not be overly concerned by this. But remember what the purpose of displaying the work is - it certainly shouldn't be to impress an inspector who may or may not look at it!

14. If it's the child's best work it deserves to be on the wall.

15. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

You don't say what it was they picked you up on. I could imagine Ofsted highlighting mistakes made by adults eg. inaccuracies in grammar or punctuation.