1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mistakes in maths exemplification booklet

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rednorfolk, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Rednorfolk

Rednorfolk New commenter

This is terrible document,

on some pages it has sums with -
    Page 6. Mentions "using commutative and distribution properties" - no where in the New Primary mathematics curriculum 2013 is this mentioned.to be used.

Page 8 and 9
    You have given examples of 20 x 7 x 5 = 20 x 5 x 7 = 100 x 7 = 700.

This is mathematically wrong you can not have more than ONE equal sign on a line.

Did any one proof this who has a maths degree ?

This a wasted opportunity to show up to what level we need to teach the new topics like algebra, my bright year 6's are able to solve simultaneous equations and factorise one brackets, so should cover it - who can tell ??

ivan

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Email them and complain/ask questions. They will respond and have already made changes based on comments received.

The more people who do this the better!

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I think the booklet is purely designed to show what you kind of thing you can get away with for teacher assessment at national standard. The message I took from it is that it would be pretty easy to show a child had achieved national standard - if they had.

There are mistakes in it here and there and some rubbish questions but then that's true of a lot of maths text books at primary level.

Surely you can string together as many equal signs as you like so long as the stuff each side of them is equal?

4. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

Why can't you have more than one equals sign?

5. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

It's a case of knowing where they are going. I don't imagine there will be an issue doing this with what they will be expected to do at KS2 but in Y7 the higher achievers will need to change and the rest in following years so why teach them "incorrectly" in the first place?

When solving multi step algebraic problems you need to keep both sides of the equation balanced. So if you subtract 2 from the right side of the equation you also need to do that to the left, if you have a string of equals signs then this becomes impossible. Whilst the statement above is correct it's generally bad practice to put more than one equals sign per line. The only place where I make an exception on this is when demonstrating equivalent fractions