1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mistakes from being an NQT Form Tutor

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by ramaduds, Jun 2, 2011.

1. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

I'm approaching the end of my 4th year since graduating from my PGCE. I am known throughout the school as being a good teacher, and Ofted recently rated my lesson as 'Outstanding'. BUT... my form group (now going into year 11) I find just as challenging as my first year as NQT. No class group is as difficult to manage as my form. I blame it on the fact I had them when I wasn't that experienced, and I didn't set out all the 'Classroom requirements' from day 1. I remember, I sympathised with their vulnerability when beginning as year 7 and was the 'nice teacher they could talk to.' Of course my discipline techniques have matured and now I can manage all classes - except for Form Period (10mins each day) and PSHE (1 hour). When I teach ANY of them in normal lessons (albeit in set groups away from Form buddies!) they are fine.
    This time next year they'll have gone and I'll completely change the way I introduce myself to my new year 7 form group. But It's a scary thought I still have this lot for a whole year!
    I seem to have lost hope with this group and am just focusing on the fact that I have learnt from my mistakes. Is this normal?

2. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

I'm approaching the end of my 4th year since graduating from my PGCE. I am known throughout the school as being a good teacher, and Ofted recently rated my lesson as 'Outstanding'. BUT... my form group (now going into year 11) I find just as challenging as my first year as NQT. No class group is as difficult to manage as my form. I blame it on the fact I had them when I wasn't that experienced, and I didn't set out all the 'Classroom requirements' from day 1. I remember, I sympathised with their vulnerability when beginning as year 7 and was the 'nice teacher they could talk to.' Of course my discipline techniques have matured and now I can manage all classes - except for Form Period (10mins each day) and PSHE (1 hour). When I teach ANY of them in normal lessons (albeit in set groups away from Form buddies!) they are fine.
    This time next year they'll have gone and I'll completely change the way I introduce myself to my new year 7 form group. But It's a scary thought I still have this lot for a whole year!
    I seem to have lost hope with this group and am just focusing on the fact that I have learnt from my mistakes. Is this normal?

3. They've become over familiar over the years they've been together. Also you teach them PSHE and as a non-examination subject in their last year, maybe don't value it like they should? To say that you've learnt loads from your experience with them, doesn't mean you've given up on them. The measure of a good teacher is reflection. Don't beat yourself up! :)

4. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

That made me feel better, guess i'm just after kind words or a hug :)

5. It's a different relationship, you started with them when you were inexperienced and you can't teach old dogs new tricks. As the previous poster said, you have learnt a lot from them so don't beat yourself up.
    I would do your best next year to enjoy them as a group and to help them create memories of their time in school. In Y11 they often mellow out as the end is in sight. Don't bother starting a whole new 'this is how things are going to be from now on' system because it is unlikely they will buy into it at this stage and after years of learnt behaviour. Appeal to their mature sides... perhaps you could 'buddy up' with a Year 7 class in the same corridor and get them helping out with reading once a week or something which will break down the group a little?

6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Or perhaps they value it precisely as they should?

7. It can be a very valuable forum for kids to learn about themselves and each other, I think. It's what you make it.