1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Missing: Recruitment Consultant's Manners, Please return if found.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by suertesamp, Jan 27, 2020.

1. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

This issue doesn't seem to be uncommon. Do consultants for recruitment agencies not have any manners? They act all polite and fake once you are registered. Once you're snared in, they think they can talk to you how they like! I am registered with two agencies now, and lately they have been very snappy and abrupt on the phone, and have been replying to emails in a very impolite demeanor. We practically pay their salary. I'm starting to think that they saw me coming. Where's the respect gone!?
    VENT OVER.

2. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

Well, it is just like with the schools. They cry and beg for a supply teacher or someone who will take the lessons because the previous member of staff left (wonder why). They've learnt with me that it is a two- way street.

Happyregardless likes this.
  3. ellenlilymay

ellenlilymay New commenter

I agree, although I've only come across one consultant who has been inexcusably rude. He wanted me to take a booking 66 miles each way (by decent roads) or 44 miles (via country lanes) and when I refused he became impolite about my areas of expertise and how limiting these are, although as a general supply I can teach almost anything. I told him that I no longer needed his or the agency's services. KARMA occurred, when even before the end of this conversation with him, a long-term job came up requiring exactly my area of expertise. As I knew which school this was, and didn't want to work there, I was able to completely ignore his pleas to return to the agency concerned. My current agency is very good and very polite and I have no regrets at leaving the other one.

4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I was lucky. The two consultants that I dealt with were polite and friendly at all times.

5. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

I had a consultant who kept badgering me about taking a job at a school that was managed by Lilac Sky (that should tell you a lot about the school). It was a school I did supply but walked out due to virtually being threatened by a group of year 11 D&T students. The person got snitty and I put the phone down. However, this same consultant could pass for a slimy estate agent or car salesman. He actually stole the list of clients from the supply agency and took them with him to his new place of employment.

MathMan1 likes this.
  6. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

They waste all their niceness sucking up to management in schools and undercutting each other that there's hardly any good left in many of them.

Agencies are really struggling these days to get schools to pay market rates and to get teachers to work for peanuts or in a manner that is not of any profit to the teacher. Everyone is getting less money in real terms, but they don't see that.

Something's got to give and it's usually their manners.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  7. BreakEven

BreakEven New commenter

It can be annoying and I suppose you would think due to the competition of how many there are that they would be doing everything they can to ensure you stay with them.

I do suppose it's a stressful job though, alot of people letting them down, pressure to ensure positions get filled so it's probably a fast paced environment where they can't afford to have time wasters (not saying you are but maybe due to this, this is why they're quick and sharp which makes it look abrupt) who knows though :(

8. venny414

venny414 New commenter

As a rule of thumb I've found out that when you're doing a booking for a consultant and are earning them money then they're your best mate. But when you don't do what they want you to do or you cancel a booking and make their life awkward for a bit, you're the worst person ever.

Until the next time they call you for a booking. And then the cycle repeats itself.

9. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@ellenlilymay: Your 'consultant' must be crackers and/or desperate to expect you to travel over 120 miles to a school, and then being 'short' with you for declining the 'offer'. You be on the road nearly as long as you be at the school!

catbefriender likes this.
  10. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

My consultant is generally pleasant on the phone, but can be abrupt during early morning calls. On one occasion he rang me on the afternoon of such a call to apologise for his brusque manner in the morning!

FrauRussell and colacao17 like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The three consultants I dealt with on supply were lovely I have to say.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  12. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

I think the problem here is that some consultants take it personally if you decline work. Why I have not the foggiest idea?
    On the whole I have found them to be very polite and courteous if you are unable to accept work. One however was a complete nightmare to deal with so I dealt with this by finding another agency.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.