1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Missing Pension Contributions

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by amylou19k, Aug 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. amylou19k

amylou19k New commenter

Hi all,

I'm being made redundant from my current employer at the end of this month, and I decided to check my pension online.
    It turns out that they haven't paid my pension contributions since October 2017, they also missed payments earlier in the year. On top of this my last payment has the incorrect annual salary amount.
    Apart form the Headteacher who else should I be contacting about this?

(This is a small private school which is part of a larger network of schools)

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

You need to talk to however operates your payroll and HR. It might be operated by the larger trust or network. TPS only have the information they are given. Employers had until July to get service contributions before April 18 up to date. They should now be on Monthly Data Collection which helps everyone see if it’s up to date. The correct salary amount may lag behind for the same reason. I think the amounts for full time salary can vary slightly according to month length although in reality you are paid equally. I’m not sure about this, though.

It’s important to check this all as there is a small chance that an independent school is having problems meeting their payroll commitments and haven’t forwarded the contributions. This is against the rules. More likely, they are just behind. Check it out politely first but make it clear you need it sorted quickly. Are you in a Union for further advice?

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I hope you are member of a Union. If so, contact them tomorrow I suggest. If not, you may need to consider legal advice, should they refuse/fail to pay your pension contributions. I would wonder whether this is a criminal offence...

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

5. amylou19k

amylou19k New commenter

Thanks for the advice. I am part of a union do i’ll be contacting them tomorrow. I’m also not the only person missing payment contributions from them.

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Many small private schools are struggling financially. So although this might be just some admin inefficiency I'd be concerned that it is a sign of financial difficulties. So move quickly.

border_walker likes this.
  7. zagato

zagato New commenter

I have just contacted the pensions regulator using this link. A whole financial year (April - March) was missing from my pension contributions at my previous academy school whilst it was in severe financial difficulties. I have repeatedly asked for this to be sorted but all I have had in the five months I have been chasing it is promises. As I am approaching retirement I would like this to be remedied to enable accurate calculations to appear on the TP website. I have asked other former colleagues to check their contributions as if they were in their thirties or forties they might not find out for many years if the same thing has happened to them.

Piranha likes this.
  8. FrankWolley

Your Union should be onto this fast, I'd have thought. If you're not in a union (why not?) you probably need advice from an Employment solicitor...

9. zagato

zagato New commenter

Have contacted NASUWT and will be following this up if not resolved quickly. Not only is there nearly £4000 missing which was taken from my salary there's their contribution also which takes the total to over £10,000.
    I'm concerned for myself but also my colleagues. I found out about it because I am approaching retirement age. Younger staff might not look at their pension and might spot this in 10 or more years when it could be difficult to deal with.
    After watching Panorama I'm wondering how widespread this might be in the new low regulation academy education system.

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

This does raise the question of who is responsible for an academy's debts if it goes bust. If it is public funds, then there is no need to worry, but if not...? Does anybody know?

11. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Very much so I think you have hit on a growing problem that a lot of private employers do when in a financial mess. They stop paying pension contribution with the thought that they can make it up next year. In my case when I left I checked my contributions but it took two interventions from the union to make up 6 months of contributions that were missing. Much later I found out that they had not paid my NI contributions for 9 months and after several inquiries from me (all ignored), I had to contact hmrc to have the situation rectified.
    I suppose ultimately it’s all public money so I would assume the tax payer would have to bail out a failing academy.

12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I would like to think so, but it would be nice to be sure. Not from my point of view - my pension is fine, but to reassure others who work for an academy which runs into financial problems.

Given the above, I think this needs to be done pretty much as soon as the problem is spotted. As does contacting the Pensions Regulator if pensions contributions don't arrive where they should.

13. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Seems to be a real issue. I have almost six years missing! Again, not the only one at our place. Apparently it's common when you go from LEA school to academy status.

I have been waiting since easter. Yes Easter.

Will take up with union if it's not sorted soon!

14. FrankWolley

I'd start now. You never know when you might need your pension.

lizgaskell and Piranha like this.
  15. fariduddin

fariduddin New commenter

I had over one year of missing contributions and was chasing it up for 8 months. Eventually got resolved almost overnight once I escalated it by submitted a formal letter to a higher authority. The teaching unions can provide tempate letters for this purpose.

16. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

Is there an easy way of finding out if employer contributions are also missing? I had four years of service missing in total. I’m still missing one year and I’m a few months into chasing this up with no success.

It was just missing from the employment history part - how would I find out if the employer contributions are also AWOL?!

17. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

Oh dear. This seems as if it is a really wretched problem. Your best chances seem to be via your Union, and try to check to see if any of your fellow-teachers at the same school, or possibly even Academy "group" have been affected. If so, publicity and group action might be the best way forward if you feel very brave. Do hope that you can get it sorted, what a vulnerable feeling. Good luck.