1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Missing cat

Discussion in 'Personal' started by thekillers1, Sep 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

My cat has gone missing for a week and it's rather sucks. Anyone had this experience?

2. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

Mine used to do it when she was a lot younger and used to enjoy going out, turned out she was going to the neighbours for food. Used to disappear for about 5 days at a time and then return not long after.

3. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Mine did disappear for a few days but couldn't get back into the garden to use the catflap. I've read that putting their litter tray outside or some bedding can attract them back. Fingers crossed.

4. Curae

Curae Lead commenter

Yes lots of times. Cats will choose with whom they want to stay with but eventually return. Ours spent a week with a neighbour who would feed her then returned to us ( she got to a stage where she just about got through the cat flap and VET placed her on a special diet This neighbour then wanted to keep her we said no.

5. copycat

copycat Senior commenter

Yes many times. Check any previous areas you used to live (mine did this) . Ask neighbours to check garages/ outbuildings as they have a habit of getting locked in. Also check if anyone could have gone on holiday and locked your cat in somewhere.
    Put notes through doors, posters up . Phone local vets. Its awful when they go missing.
    I hope you get a happy ending.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Not experienced it personally as I have no pets. What I do know is that Facebook has become a massive forum for putting missing pet pictures on and asking people to share. Does my head in.
    Hope your cat returns though!

thekillers likes this.
  7. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Senior commenter

Has your feline had their wings clipped as it were ? That sometimes helps the wandering in tom cats .
    I have had several of my cat brood go for a wander . One of mine wanderers made visits to a home for children with severe learning difficulties . One day the owners told me that Oscar ( my cat ) sat with girl who they thought couldn't talk and out of the blue she started talking to him . That brought tears to my eyes .
    Another of mine must have read 'Six dinner Sid ' and multiplied it by two! Greedy wotsit .
    I do hope that yours is being socialable and will return to you very soon though and my thoughts are with you .

thekillers likes this.
  8. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Many cats do like to go walkabout. My old friend Leonard was a church organist who literally loved to pull out all the stops. One Sunday he stood in at a neighbouring church where the organist was off sick. The vicar's cat had been sulking among the organ pipes for a couple of days but Len`s first couple of chords worked like a dose of salts, flushing out the missing moggie in double-quick time. I hope the OP´s pet returns safe and well.

thekillers and Norsemaid like this.
  9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I've read that too.

The hope the cat is back soon.

thekillers likes this.
  10. sannas

sannas Occasional commenter

My cat used to go off for days at a time, he was a ratter and would come home when his bites needed dettol on them. He would sit still and let me clean them with the dettol, once they'd heeled he's go off again. Although even when I didn't see him he'd leave me carcasses in the backyard!

11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

It is not uncommon - more usual for males than females, as one might expect.

Is he micro-chipped?