1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Missing cat

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lurk_much, Jun 16, 2011.

1. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Yes. Our Bradley spent a week clinging to the beams in a neighbours living room ceiling. He was well named, very funny but a complete idiot.

2. Garp, who died aged 10 of a liver tumour, having used up his 9 lives and them some...
    He went missing for the odd couple of days at a time on a frequent basis but once went missing for well over a week. We leafleted and eventually were told he'd been adopted and was being kept as a housecat called Pickles. We claimed him back and the "adopters" had the nerve to ask about a reward! We told them that us not calling the police would be reward enough. I didn't dare ask what damage "Pickles" had caused. He was decidely NOT an indoor cat.
    And recently, his sister, who is about 16. She must've got locked in somewhere and cam back scraggy and skinny and moulting like mad. A weekend of TLC and tuna feeding and she was back to bullying the dog like nothing had happened.
    They're hardy beasts- my thoughts and hopes are with you.

3. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Old cat. Not in the best of health. Missing for 4 months. Turned out he had been living with a neighbour who thought he was a stray! We think he had forgotten where he lived.
    I hope yours turns out to be a similar story - although not missing for so long as you have leafletted everyone.
    Good luck.

4. Sorry to hear about your cat Daydreamer. One of ours, who is very much a home-bird, went missing for seven days. Just as I was starting to think we wouldn't see her again, in she trotted safe and sound. Where she was remains a mystery. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

5. Thank you everybody who's responded so far. Hopefully he will come back.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Ours who was never more than a short sprint from her food bowl went missing for 24 hours once without explanation. Like you we leafleted all the houses backing onto her usual territory, which isn't large for the average female cat. She came back a bit hungrier than usual. My theory is she got locked in somewhere and the leaflet maybe led someone to check a shed or garage, but who knows what really happened?

Cats can go for quite a while without food and water and not suffer a great deal of discomfort - fingers crossed.

7. My 13 year old male cat recently disappeared for a couple of weeks. It turned out a woman down the road had been feeding him, so I asked her to stop. He came back and I have been bribing him with catnip daily! He seemed confused at first, he doesn't beat the dog up any more ( but, on the plus side, he has stopped taking swipes at my legs too). I hope your cat comes home soon.

8. Try looking on the found cat's register. You can google it and then put your area in. I'm sure he will turn up, maybe he just wandered into someone's garage or shed. Good Luck.

9. My next door neighbours cat recently disappeared, along with the cat from the next house along. Both were missing 13 days, and then arrived back together, looking none the worst for wear and rather smug. Feline package holiday...?!

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

One of mine did a most out of character, disappearing act recently. Very distressing. He was fine, he'd been trapped in someones garage or lock-up and from the state of him he had fought quite hard to get out. He had a big baldy patch on his head where he had pushed repeatedly at something hard, but his fur's growing back now.
    I phoned all the vets in the local area (they have lists they keep) incase someone had found him injured and taken him there. For roughly the same reasoning I also phoned the various cat and dog shelters, pet rehoming and adoption centres, the cleansing dept. (not a nice thought but a dead animal can be reported and picked up by the cleansing), I put an advert on www.animalsearchuk.co.uk. I also spoke to the postie, various dog walkers, put posters up in the local shops and spoke to lots of people out and about in the area.
    I really hope your cat comes back safe and sound. Fingers crossed.

11. My mum has phoned the vet on our estate and they haven't had him brought in but the receptionist said she would let the local Cats Protection League know too. I will try the Found Cats register as well-thanks for the tip! He does have a couple of houses he goes to on our estate-he is bullied a bit by our youngest cat who is a lot bigger than him and so he has made his territory elsewhere really but he still usually comes in to eat but he hasn't been in for 4 days now. None of the people in the other houses have seen him since the weekend.

12. It will be down to luck. No amount of microchip, collars, or anything else has ever worked for us. I am sad to say have lost more than found: some eventually found run over is the most likley unless you live in back of beyond.
    However, have also had tales of magnificent survival - one mogg gone a year and just living a quarter of a mile away as it turned out with some lovely people, and more recently our eldest cat (16) missing for several days and then a found poster turned up on lampost with pics of her at the vet, and ready for collection minus the £360 bill.
    Good luck. Cats are quixotic, so specualtion is pointless.

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

This as the same as our two, except the bully cat is the smaller cat. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, I hope it works out. Keep us posted.

14. My mum has joined the missing cats register and is going to put a description of him up on there so hopefully that will help.

15. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

16. Thanks for updating this thread, Lurk Much.