1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Missed application deadline due to email error, is it too late?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by splinters, Feb 7, 2016.

1. splinters

splinters Established commenter

A job I am very interested in had a Thursday deadline so I sent the application and letter off on Wednesday. I checked it all over and that it was in my sent folder....all good.
    This evening (Saturday) I received a mail delivery failure notification and would you believe it; the mail was that job application....3 days after I sent it!!
    I promptly forwarded the email I sent on Wednesday to a different (but relevant) email address at the school explaining the error.
    I normally follow up on emails or ask for notification of delivery but Friday was so manic at work and it was early evening before I got home. The interviews are Thursday 11th and I intend to ring first thing Monday morning but I fear they will have already shortlisted.
    Do schools usually make exceptions in cases like this or have I simply missed the boat here? The error just says the mail was undeliverable after many attempts.,,no idea what went wrong, never happened before.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Frustrating!

Your only hope is that there was something wrong at their end, and so this happened to everybody . . .

I think that it is likely that they shortlisted (assuming that they got any applications!) at the end of the week, sending out their interview invitations on Friday last thing. :(

And they are not going to uninvite someone to invite someone new. :( :(

If they consider your application much better than the people already invited, they might add you.

But it has really been extremely bad luck.

Best wishes

3. splinters

Frustrating indeed. I have no idea what the error was nor why it took 3 days to be returned. I have done all I can for now by forwarding the sent email dated before the deadline and I will follow up with a courteous phone call on Monday.
    If i am a promising candidate for them I would hope they would try and fit me in. I am on half term so no real disruption at my end, the school breaks up this Friday.

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

When applying for jobs I always advise applying well before the deadline. Why? Because some schools will interview well before the deadline if they have strong candidates.

5. splinters

I normally submit applications very early, this was a rare instance where I was just bogged down with work. Oh well, nothing else can be done now I guess. I will still ring on Monday out of courtesy and update.

wanet likes this.
  6. splinters

Rang the school and received a very nice email. Apparently I missed the k from the end of the uk in the address. I had copied and pasted the email from the website so it goes to show how one slip of the mouse can mess things up completely.
    Sadly, shortlist already drawn up and letters sent out so its a no go on this occasion although the application will be considered if they dont appoint.
    Lesson learnt...the hard way, although I am still baffled why it took 3 days to return the mail as undeliverable.:mad:

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

:eek:

Best wishes

8. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

It'll be because your error was in the domain (the bit after the @), rather than the username (the but before).

If the domain is correct, then the message will go straight to the receiving server, which then checks that the username exists and either delivers it or sends it back if the username doesn't exist.

If the error is in the domain, then your mail server will keep on trying to send the message, in case the receiving server is real and only down temporarily. After a while (three days in this case), it gives up and sends the email back to you.

wanet likes this.
  9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That is really interesting, @CandysDog ! thanks for that.

Best wishes

10. gedeasy

gedeasy New commenter

While you can make excuses like "it ended up in my junk box" They're just too commonly known as the sneaky way out of a communication error. This is why you need to be honest and take responsibility for your mistake. You need to make an honest apology, but it's not always as simple as saying "I'm sorry I took ten thousand, four hundred and sixty two days to respond." In the eyes of the recipient, you're not terribly responsible.

Nowadays, immediacy is the norm. Cellphones offer the possibility of constant contact and app and media stores offer instant downloads of purchases. When we're required to wait for something, such as a reply to an email, we often feel slighted as if a lack of immediate response means we're not important.