1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Miss, what's your first name?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by minnieminx, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Pardon? A "pop" at whom, exactly? Certainly not Sardonicus, and not Mr Leonard either (quite accidental mistyping of his name earlier, by the way), merely a little attempt at humour. And Mr Leonard is rather given to taking "pops" at me and others fairly regularly in any case. The only "pop" here appears to be aimed from you to me, if you don't mind me saying so. That seems to be the sole purpose of your intervention, whereas mine was to express appreciation for another poster's contribution. Pots, kettles ...?

2. "A bit way, way over Mr Loanard's head however, I fear"
    That would be the 'Pop' I am referring to.
    "And Mr Leonard is rather given to taking "pops" at me and others fairly regularly in any case"
    I would consider you to be the main culprit in this regard. You later in the post mention Pot, Kettles etc.I reply in kind.
    "The only "pop" here appears to be aimed from you to me, if you don't mind me saying so"
    Not at all. I don't mind. Although no 'Pop' from me intended. I was just curious why you were implying that Leonard would be unable (or unwilling) to grasp Sardonicus. Given that a number of these teaching related discussions often evolve into arguments as it is, it would seem a shame to risk provoking another one.

3. Heavens above, get a sense of humour. Glancing at the earlier exchanges, it was obvious that Sardonicus' amusing contribution of a couple of weeks back had fallen on stony ground, and I made a perfectly light-hearted reference to that. You seem to be one of those self-appointed prefects, Campamania, who patrol this place and literally within minutes (31, on this occasion) "pop" up with an attack on someone like me when I make one of my very occasional contributions. That sort of bullying is unattractive, I'd advise against it.

4. "Heavens above, get a sense of humour"
    I have one already. Thank you for your concern though.
    "You seem to be one of those self-appointed prefects, Campamania, who patrol this place,"
    If you say so. The use of the word 'seem' clarifies that you don't actually know. Another vague statement from you. An accusation that is impossible to prove/disprove on an online forum.
    "pop" up with an attack on someone like me"
    Typically melodramatic use of language from you - the use of word 'attack'. My choice of language was innoffensive and considerably less confrontational then alot of your previous postings.
    "when I make one of my very occasional contributions"
    Why is the frequency of your contributions relevant?
    "That sort of bullying is unattractive, I'd advise against it."
    Bullying is unattractive. You would do well to take your own advice. Or better still you could act with a level of maturity, befitting someone of your (presumed) age, and accept that my original point was put across in a reasonable manner, instead of making hysterical accusations.
    Just a thought.

5. Tell them your name. Firstly by giving them a straight and honest answer they will not find it funny or give it the added weight that they might do should they find out from someone else, which they will at some point. Secondly, and most importantly, teachers should avoid an atmosphere where children and teachers and drastically different. Treat them with respect and trust them. That will create a more equal and harmonious classroom. Finally, if there are Facebook issues then you should be extra careful with who has access to your pages. Easily done through security settings.

6. It amuses me when pupils tell me my name, as if I may have forgotten it:) (Usually as I log in to my computer).Perhaps they think I am old enough to be getting absent-minded. I simply confirm they are right and go back to the subject under discussion.

In class, generally I get 'Miss' or Mrs Barclay. In communication with my Duke of Edinburgh group, I sign myself Mrs B, and that's what I am called outside school on daywalks, expeditions and trips. It's less formal to reflect the surroundings and it works

Why get hung up about it? And why even consider lying about it? We'd be the first to criticise our youngsters for a) lying or b) pretending to be someone else!

7. yeah i agree with that. most school websites say the name of the staff anyway.

8. I always say it's Miss and if they continue I explain that my mum was really clever and when I was born she knew I would be a teacher so she called me Miss

gravell likes this.
  9. Or better still...just don't have one! Why on earth a professional working with children would take the risk is beyond me.

10. Hey, Last Years Man, is your first name "The Rain Falls Down on ....".

11. I live and work in the smallish town I grew up in and teach at the school I went to. One father of a pupil was my first "boyfriend" and as 8 year olds we held hands under the desk in the classroom I now teach in. There is absolutely no point in denying my age, name or any of my history.....
    and there is no need to. I tell my pupils and their parents that I am a human being too (I think they forget that!).
    I don't accept pupils as friends on facebook (I have checked and because of my unusual name there are only two of us on there), I simply tell them that they can add me when they are an adult if they still want to be my friend then. I am however friends with several parents (see above).
    I live my life on facebook in the same way as I do in my hometown. I don't have any secrets and I don't live a double life. Anything I say is fit to be heard on the playground, in the local supermarket or even in the pub.
    Not one of my pupils has ever called me by my first name, except when invited to at family/friends functions. (I tell them I won't answer to Mrs X at the weekend). They automatically revert when back in school. No problem.

12. Skyler

Skyler New commenter

I started at a new school in September.
    "What's your first name?"
    "Monica."
    "Can we call you it?"
    "No."
    End of conversation. Some lessons later...
    "Miss, your name's Monica. I can see it on the whiteboard".
    "Yeah welldone dimmo, she told us that ages ago. Shuddup."
    No timewasting, no authority issues. Work completed.

gravell likes this.
  13. My first name is Joe, and at my second placement school, my badge said Mr. J. X.

The first time I was asked, I said "Mister". The second, I said "guess", the third, was to a bunch of especially gullible Year 7 kids in my form group, who I told the J stood for Jorge. Then came a load of questions about why I didn't teach Spanish. I told them that my mother was Spanish, but had moved away from Spain young and so never taught me any Spanish, but wanted to keep a bit of my Spanish descent in my name.

Lies, all of it, but meant I didn't have to do much else during form, and the questions stopped. With some of my older classes, I just told them straight.