1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Miss Maple or Poirot needed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by RedQuilt, Jul 22, 2015.

1. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I never, ever thought I'd start a thread like this!

I've got a mystery on my hands, largely borne of acute nosiness, that I'd appreciate some remote views on.

Background: I have become relatively recently reacquainted with an old friend/occasional lover. He is married and I'm not so I made it really clear that it would only be friendship I'm taking part in as I don't mess around in other people's relationships.

Onto the mysterious bits... he had an incredibly prestigious and highly paid job overseas, met his wife, moved back to the UK and then she followed later. However, the accommodation he moved to on his return was a grotty little bedsit in a shared house. It is literally one room and they've been living there for seven years. He claims to have almost no possessions despite saying that he had a really well paid job on his return to the UK. Apparently he went bankrupt a few years ago due to 'bad business advice' but I know he's getting a very healthy armed forces pension. His wife works and he doesn't. Lots of comments from him lead me to believe that he's stony broke.

What I can't quite get my tiny brain around is how this could be. How long does a person stay bankrupt? He told me that he'll be out of bankruptcy in December but that means it would be 5 years since he declared but he's got his massive pension from the forces and his wife's income. That doesn't add up does it, especially as he's paying a tiny amount of rent for their room.

I know I'm being nosy [​IMG]

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Don't even linger, forget the past, run away now!

3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Yes, I know I need to do that, especially as he's trying to break the rules of engagement set up at the beginning. I feel very uncomfortable about the whole situation tbh, something seems very wrong and he sure as heck isn't being truthful to me. Shame though, he was a good friend once upon a time.

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Oh this sounds well dodgy. Run for the hills, run and don't look back!

5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

It does sound dodgy, doesn't it. Glad it's not just me that thinks so.

Now I just have to find a way of getting shot of him, he's being horribly persistent [​IMG]

6. tidal

tidal New commenter

A club with a nail in it usually works

Even the verbal version

7. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I'm really rubbish at clubbing people, both physically and verbally. I suppose that I'm just going to have to grow a pair in this case though.

Does anyone know if someone can stay bankrupt for 5 years? I thought it wasn't as long as that.

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Never mind the details, tell him to "go away" and save yourself from any potential grief.

9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

OK, I'll find a way. What a nasty taste the whole episode has left though!

10. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

www.gov.uk/search-bankruptcy-insolvency-register for current bankrupts

or https://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/eiir/

or maybe http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/bankrupts-insolvent-debtors/ if discharged.

Here you go, RedQuilt! Have a search and satisfy your curiosity - and then run away as fast as you can!

The man's a shyster!

11. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Well, well, well, he's not on any of those bankruptcy data bases! Dirty stinking liar that he is.

Still, it confirms my gut feelings were right.

I've sent a text saying that I'm calling it a day but was being bombarded with begging and pleading texts. What an utter plonker.

Thanks all, I needed the confirmation you gave me :)

12. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I just love this place!

13. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

www.nidirect.gov.uk/what-happens-when-you-become-bankrupt

am not sure if he would be on the 1st two lists as bankrupcy usually only lasts a year and less sometimes.

Also the official receiver would look at all his assests and 1) take those off him, 2) he would have to pay back a reypayment plan for 3 years which takes into account his income

Sometimes people are hit with a dpo if they have done something a bit dodgy so this will affect the above

Although bankruptcy lasts a year usually, and then the person is discharged, it stays on their credit rating for 6 years from the date they went bankrupt and then falls off

Assets include property, cars, possessions which can be sold and money recouped and pension would count as income.

It is very hard to get back from bankrupcy so am not surprised he is living in a grotty flat...many landlords dont like tenents who have been bankrupt or even discharged bankrupts as their credit rating is nin existant.

Happens on a personal level but also if someone' s business fails and they have liabilty to creditors.

As to his intentions towards you, no idea!

14. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Thanks moonpenny (nice to see you posting too). I suppose I'll never actually know what's happened to him but I do know that I've been fed a disproportionate amount of bs, certainly enough to know that something is 'let's.

He's made his intentions towards me crystal clear and I'd give a few quotes if I wasn'tcertain they'd break decency laws! I'm much, much better off out of it.

15. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I was going by the comment that he'd be out of bankruptcy by December, which suggested that he was still in it. Usually a bankrupt pwerson can be discharged after a year - but you are right that there may have been sanctions if he had (e.g.) attempted to hide assets from the official receiver.

16. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Which adds further to my instinct that he's a dirty rotten scoundrel, Glg.

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

Get out fast.

18. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

...and don't look back!!

19. inky

inky Lead commenter

Don't even indulge your curiosity. It's not worth it.

20. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

It was my understanding that bankruptcy lasts five years unless you repay the creditors. You would not be able to run a normal bank account or run any business, and money would be taken via PAYE if you could work outside the black economy.