1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Miss, I need to go to the first aid room

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Feb 14, 2016.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

What number do they have to reach before you let them out of the classroom?

[​IMG]

sabrinakat likes this.
  2. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

With my KS2 lot, it usually involves itches ("Don't scratch it"), teeth fallen out ("Wrap it in a paper towel and rinse your mouth with water"), sore tummies ("You'll be fine"), headaches ("Concentrate on your work and you'll forget about it") and feeling sick ("Go and see the First Aider").

I used to be less sympathetic with the last lot until a couple actually were sick in my classroom.

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Better on the floor in the classroom, I always found, than in a washbasin where it clogged up the sink and I had to spend ages holding my nose with one hand and stirring the vomit vigorously with a paintbrush handle in the other to try to get it to go down the plughole. Aaaaargh !

InkyP and cissy3 like this.
  4. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

That reminds me of a time when a child in my Y5 class vomited into the classroom sink. I just couldn't face sorting it out, and one of the boys said he'd do it for me.
    He turned on the taps and proceeded to poke the sick down the plug hole with a ruler, then declared "Miss, some of the bigger chunks aren't going down!" :confused:

In another (Y2) class, a boy conveniently threw up into a brand new bucket of Lego. I simply replaced the lid and threw the Lego out.

If a child complains of being ill, I have several strategies. I tell them to:
    Go to the toilet
    Wash their hands
    Blow their nose
    Have a drink of water
    Remover jumper/cardigan.
    Undo top button and loosen tie.

99.9% of the time, it has the desired effect!

cissy3 likes this.
  5. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Definitely 11 all the time.

racroesus likes this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I just want rid of the whining so will usually let them go at 2. They come back proudly sporting a plaster or ice pack which the nurse seems to hand out as a remedy for everything.

7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I judge each individual case on its merits, but don't always get it right: I've had two incidences of Year 7 boys wetting themselves in the past year.

BTW, does anyone else still refer to the "sick bay", or am I the only old timer around?

8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I well recall that problem![​IMG]

monicabilongame and sabrinakat like this.
  9. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I just printed out for my own classroom....!

I had a very 'ill' Y8 last year (mixed/grammar), where I learned to bring:
    - wet wipes
    - tissue
    - a bucket for 'sick' (it carried all the supplies listed here)
    - plasters
    - water with cups
    - fresh pens
    - extra paper

and most importantly, a list of parents' phone numbers and my mobile.

Worked a treat! Fortunately, they survived numerous cases of ebola, self-harming with rulers and protractors (the one with one-side pencil, the other a sharp point?), worries over nuclear attack, etc. My best moment was when a Y8 who was a complete messer kept coming up with one excuse after another as to why he needed to go to the nurse - his mom loved that phone call....

In my now independent (girls'), I do also have sanitary napkins just in case....

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You've reminded me of some of the drunken parties I went to when I was much younger. There's nothing worse than having to stir someone's puke down the plughole before being able to throw up yourself, is there?

monicabilongame likes this.
  11. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I'm never more glad to be a teacher than when one of my littlies has a problem and I ask my TA to handle it. "I'm not supposed to leave the class..."

sabrinakat and monicabilongame like this.
  12. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Whatever happened to a wet paper towel? I thought they were the ultimate cure for all minor injuries ;)

13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think the ice pack carries more power 'cos it's wielded by a professional.
    ;)

sabrinakat likes this.
  14. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

They have to be dying to leave. The nurse only gives them paracetamol anyway.