1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mislaid publication: School improvement toolkit

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by nixter, Sep 7, 2018.

1. nixter

nixter New commenter

Hello all,
    I have a 'go to' publication which I think is DFE. It is an A4, spiral bound book noticeable because it is landscape rather than portrait. It is a school improvement toolkit book and leads through activities such as enablers and blockers, priorities in school improvement etc. It is very practical and has good ideas for staff meetings and leadership meetings. However, it was published years ago... possibly 2005. I have googled it - including images - and I have searched endlessly on the DFE publications and archive website but not joy.

Does anybody have a copy or a recollection of it? I am so gutted.... whilst it may not be a recent document the approaches to eliciting starting points from staff were really good. Even if I had a reference number, ISBN number or a photograph of the front cover I might be more likely to find it!

Thanks in advance.....

Nicky

2. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

3. nixter

nixter New commenter

OMG, I literally had an adrenaline rush when I glanced through the link. It is almost identical.... except it isn't for the effective deployment of classroom staff... it is for whole school improvement! How strange... but, the approaches and strategies are similar/the same. It certainly fills some of the gap. Thank you so very very much for bothering to post this find. It has made a big difference. If only to trigger ideas I have previously used successfully as well as looking through the TDA archive around a similar date.
    Thanks again,
    Nixter

4. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Doh! I was so hopeful that would be it.

If you can remember any particular parts of the booklet you last, such as a title/subtitle or chapter I may be able to have another go. I am usually pretty good with search engines!

The main difficulty I bumped in to for this was that nearly all of it was archived/lost, and the archiving was basic (to say the least), so the search is more or less brute force!

5. LeftTheBuilding

LeftTheBuilding Occasional commenter

nixter likes this.
  6. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

Sounds like a staff night out, with too much booze!

nixter and Bumptious like this.
  7. nixter

nixter New commenter

Me too...but it's quite a frustrating one... some really useful links here, thank you so much. There are obviously a cluster of documents published around SIP during this time that have similar tools. I can't download or buy the whole document but, with the publication that Flanks found, there is enough to work with. Thanks so much for your time!

Bumptious likes this.
  8. nixter

nixter New commenter

Indeed... such a shame that they have just decided that it's not worth archiving everything. A lot of hard work went into some amazing materials over the last 15 years and just because new ideas come in, it doesn't mean that the previous documents are not still part of the journey or that they are no longer useful. The previous document you posted IS very very useful, tho, and whilst the focus is on the use/impact of additional adults, the approaches are the same which is the bit I need! I am ever hopeful that the publication itself will turn up. I was on a secondment last term at a failing school and my belief is that someone there picked it up thinking it would be useful. Thanks again....

Flanks and Bumptious like this.
  9. nixter

nixter New commenter

10. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter