1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Miscue analysis

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Can anyone tell me how miscue analysis works please as a way to assess reading? I know very little about it. Is it a formative or a summative assessment method and is it effective?
    If anyone can provide any links to websites too so that I can read up on it, I'd be really grateful. How else can reading be assessed?
    I'm a trainee in my first year of uni so this is all very new to me.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

3. Msz,
    I'm curious. Do you think that miscue analysis serves any useful purpose in teaching reading?

4. Msz

It isn't something I would routinely use in my teaching or assessing. I suppose the KS1 NC reading task uses miscue to assess but I wouldn't use it otherwise

5. Is it useful?

6. Msz

Not in the slightest

7. This is an interesting question!

Miscue analysis is associated with a more whole language or mixed methods approach to teaching reading.
    It generally assumes that we need to identify which reading strategies children 'read' the words and what their difficulties may be.
    The thing is, we can all undertake a miscue analysis and make identifical notes of how any child 'reads' the book.
    But following that, dependent upon our 'understanding' of reading instruction, we would view the results entirely differently.
    For example, I would regard any guessing of words the pupil did as a bad thing - a wrong reading strategy. For many years, however, and prior to this 'synthetic phonics' new era, teachers were actually trained that children SHOULD use a range of reading strategies to read the words such as guessing from picture, context and initial letter cues.
    Thus, teachers actually 'taught' these reading strategies to children, they were trained in the multi-cueing reading strategies - and might worry if children showed that they were using one strategy predominantly and describe this as an overly heavy reliance on only one strategy.
    However, to someone with a synthetic phonics understanding, guessing at words from first letters or first clusters of letters would be seen as an unwelcome reading strategy - as would be guessing from context or picture clues.
    We would see the sign of children, for example, repeatedly getting the smaller words wrong such as 'in', 'it', 'his', 'but', 'this', 'went', 'when' as a really bad sign and a sign of context cueing where a consequence is often making up the inbetween little words with little attention paid to accuracy of the word - similarly with word endings such as plural words and negative words like 'couldn't' and 'books' - read as 'could' and 'book'.
    So, we could still use miscue analysis productively - but it is in the understanding and interpretation of the miscue analysis where teachers may be widely apart.

8. I would suggest to the OP that it would be a complete waste of his/her time to read up about miscue analysis or to regard it as anything but an irrelevance to the taching of reading. On the whole, children misread words because they are not decoding and blending them properly from left to right all through the word or because they have imperfect knowledge of letter/sound correspondences. (Or, as Debbie says, because they have been mistaught...) You don't need to spend any time 'analysing' their reading to discover this; it is immediately apparent!
    OP, are you being required to find out about miscue analysis as part of your course?

9. Msz

I would also consider it wrong for a child to guess and would work on correcting that but I would mentally note it rather than formally record mistakes and analysis their nature.

10. Yes, it's a course requirement. I'm not saying I'd use it myself as a teaching strategy but it is something which we've been told we need to be aware of nonetheless.

11. Anyone have an idea of how many schools actually use miscue analysis? I've only observed phonics teaching and group/shared reading so far.

12. Actually, scrap the last question. Can a TA work with children for miscue analysis or would the teacher normally do it and how often would this be done? I can see that it's a time consuming process. Also, how do they check the children's understanding of the text? Just see if they are using the context to work out the words or substituting words which are appropriate to the context?

13. becka89

becka89 New commenter

We use it at my school and the TA does it once a term to assess where children are and if their stage is correct. We do ask comp questions alongside to check their understanding of the book. We use the miscues with a pinch on salt. Something you do with every scheme that's out there :)

14. Absolutely Maizie. The most common in schools is the RR model - Meaning, Structural, Visual. (MSV) Surely if a child has not read a word correctly they have failed to decode it by blending graphemes to read the word. If they have failed to decode a word, more work will be required to teach them to do so. MSV suggests they should be taught compensatory strategies - guessing from pictures, guessing from sentence structure and repeated phrases, guessing from the meaning of a sentence - i.e. guessing. And failing that, memorising words as wholes.

15. Sigh. It is still a "course requirement". One step forwards, ten steps back.

16. Comprehension - a child can most effectively comprehend the words they hear. This is language comprehension. Reading comprehension is no different, all children are doing is translating written words into spoken (or thought) language and comprehending them.

17. I came across this thread as I am a current PGCE student and we are beign asked to carry this out on our first placement. It is interesting to read the different comments and thoughts on Miscue Analysis, and I was very grateful for the links and information.

I wonder if anyone has any slightly more up to date links on the subject as some were no longer working? I will go and search for myself but if anyone happens to have naything handy I would be very grateful!