1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Misconduct, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by JAQJ, Feb 26, 2011.

1. We have a teacher within our school who has been caught having an affair with the school caretaker. The problem is, the caretaker has a child in her class and the affair started during her NQT year. I really feel for the family destroyed by this woman. The caretaker was with his partner for 15 years and its sad watching her and the children suffer. Should she have faced disciplinary action and should the General Teaching Council be informed?

2. We have a teacher within our school who has been caught having an affair with the school caretaker. The problem is, the caretaker has a child in her class and the affair started during her NQT year. I really feel for the family destroyed by this woman. The caretaker was with his partner for 15 years and its sad watching her and the children suffer. Should she have faced disciplinary action and should the General Teaching Council be informed?

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Takes two to tango, doesn't it?
    Presumably those responsible for making a decision on this woman's future have made what they consider to be the right and appropriate one.

4. Presumably your moral superiority gives you the right to judge others. I hope it never gets lonely up there on your lofty pedestal.
    If you are line managing either of thes people it might be up to you to have a word about conduct around school, if this has been an issue.
    If you aren't, then it's probably sensible to mind your own business.

5. BTW having an affair with a colleague is not misconduct. Making the beast with two backs on school premises is. But doing so off site is not the concern of the teaching profession.

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

And?
    Why is this a problem?
    So what?
    That's nice but has no bearing on her ability to teach.
    And isn't any more. Get over it. It happens.
    Then stop stalking them.
    Should you face disciplinary action for involving yourself in the lives of others? Should the GTC be informed that you have nothing better to do than involve yourself in matters that do not affect you?

7. Why should she face disciplinary action? This is a private matter which has no relation to her teaching. If a dentist has an affair with a colleague, but not a patient, should the dental council wade in and ban him from looking at patients' teeth as punishment? No, because it has NOTHING to do with how the dentist does their job. Having an affair is a moral issue, not a professional one. Your colleague had an affair with a colleague, not a pupil. Therefore, it is nothing to do with anybody except themselves and their spouses. The fact that the child is in the class is besides the point. If the mother objects, the child can be taught in a different class. This is for the mother to decide, not you.
    As for wanting disciplinary action - what more punishment do you want for this woman? You've already talked about how the children are suffering and that the family is destroyed. Would an unknown face at the GTC also passing judgement make you feel that this woman has got what you think she deserves? Somehow, you just don't seem satisfied with the consequences so far: that a marriage is wrecked, the whole school knows and the children have to see her every day. What else could you possibly want to happen to this woman???
    I appreciate that the whole thing sounds dreadful. However, given that you are not a relative of anyone involved, I think you should mind your own business. Concentrate on polishing your own halo, not examining the tarnish on everybody else's.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would imagine the 'punishment' is having to turn up at work each day knowing people totally disapprove of you and blame you for things that are not entirely your fault. I worked in a school once where two teachers, both married, started an affair. It did ruin their reputations among some of the staff and certainly meant they were the subjects of gossip for quite some times. It was terribly hard for them (and yes I do know they must have known that would happen) but in the end, several years later, they had both left their previous partners, got married and had more children. It is the way of the world these days.

Anyway 1) What school has a caretaker that is attractive enough to be appealing in any way? and 2) What NQT has the time for any such activity? None I've ever known!

9. [​IMG]

10. You might start by reading Lady Chatterley's Lover......
    ......and the lucky lady will never want for clean floors. Even if she is a wicked homewrecker.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

He was a gardener!!! They are all hunky and attractive!

Good point about the floors. Maybe I should ....?

12. Two consenting adults had an extramarital affair. The UK is not an islamic country so they have broken no laws. What is the problem?

13. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Did you never heat the one about the priest and the teenager?? - far worse and I am sure someone would have reported him to God.... The clergy equivalent of the GTC...... ahhh but the GTC is to be disbanded next year, whereas 'God' in his many guises will probably still be ticking along....

14. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

I can only assume previous posters aren't English teachers! Lady Chatterley's lover, Mellors, was the gamekeeper.

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oooops! I did know that and have read the book/seen the film.

Blushing now! Could blame typos, but I'd be lying. My mistake and yes I hope no-one else noticed as well.

I trained as a maths teacher, is that a good enough excuse?

16. I LOVE this euphemism oldgreywolf!!! Agree with what you said also [​IMG]

17. I think you've posted enough information to have this person identified which is pretty mean. It is very, very sad when a marriage breaks up. The gossip surrounding it must make it worse for everyone.

18. You are a charmer, aren't you? Wotsa matter, luv? She beat you to him?[​IMG]